Author Topic: Hi from N Ireland  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Viper

• View Profile
Hi from N Ireland
« on: November 23, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »
Hi all,

I recently had the good fortune to purchase a Phil Read Replica. It is in original condition with very few miles. I am considering restoring the old girl to concourse condition and would welcome any advice. I've been around bikes since childhood and have worked on many over the years so have some mechanical knowledge. This is the first classic project and advice on the model would be invaluable. I currently ride a BMW K1300GT SE and a Ducati 996s and am looking forward to getting the big Honda on the road to impress a few friends. I'm looking forward to picking the experts brains

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from N Ireland
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 08:59:14 PM »
Hi Viper, welcome, can you post a picture of the PRR, they are great bikes, the original phil read bits are virtually impossible to get, but F2 parts are still about, as long as all your bits are still there then it should be easy to restore, just very costly like all these old honda's
Pete

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 07:37:25 AM »
Hi Viper and welcome sounds like you have an interesting project like Pete says put some photos on when you get chance  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 11:12:37 AM »
Thanks for the welcome folks. I will hopefully manage to get time and get the old girl photographed. The big girl is all there, just needs a good clean. Some of the paint on the fork lower fork legs needs refreshing whilst the is some pitting is evident on the engine cases. Was these engines powder coated or painted? I would also feel a little more reassured if I could replace the brake hoses with new ones, are they still available?

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 12:44:15 PM »
Do you have the proper exhaust?

I don't own this bike any more but there are a few around.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »
Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay in the reply, work is starting to get in the way of my social life....... To answer your question, yes. The bike was in a private collection from 1983. It has only covered 2189 miles (40 from 1987). The exhaust looks in good condition as the whole bike has received several layers of oil to help keep her in good condition.
That looks a fine example in the photo.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal