Author Topic: CAM STAR Wheels  (Read 6657 times)

Offline Viper

• View Profile
CAM STAR Wheels
« on: November 23, 2012, 08:06:39 PM »
Hi Folks, Is there anyone who can refurbish the cam star rims?

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
Re: CAM STAR Wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:33:19 PM »
Don't you mean Comstar wheels?...as standard fitment to the CB750F2/CB900FZ/CBX1000ZA?
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »
Hi Yoshi823,

You are correct. I'm new to this classic game. I recall having these rims on my Honda CB250 Super Dream. I now have them on may recently purchased Phil Read Replica and was wondering if there is anyone out there that can refurbish them if required? Any advice would be most helpful.
Thanks for keeping me right regarding the comstars, the forum has proven beneficial already........I think I could become quite an expert before this project is finished....ha ha ha

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »
Hello Viper and welcome to the forum as Ii see you've just arrived.

There are some discussions on here already about more serious work on these wheels that will give you a good feel for what people think.

As for any significant work on them, well no one seems to be offering anything in particular so very sparse if non existant.

Also depends on what you need to do to them.......they do seem very tough if in good nick and also difficult to refurbish in any thorough way. Rims are normally of forged alloy usually with a very hard surface that lasts quite well (this is very high quality alloy that seems to resist corrosion well) but if they've been sanded/abraded it raises the risk of corrosion setting in.

The spokes are normally of satin chromed steel on the base model 750F2 used for this bike so may need a different approach to refinishing.

It's difficult to say without seeing the wheels but I'd be inclined to start with a good steam clean and NO detergent (some of those agressive chemical cleaning products will make the alloy surface deteriorate) to allow you a really good look at the overall condition and then try to make decision as to the best way forward.

Also DON'T steam clean the bearings if you intend to leave them in place.

Interestingly there are probably some pictures of Phil Read riding the inspiration for that very bike in your neck of the woods........along with the IOM....it's spiritual home I guess.

Nigel.

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »
Here's Phil at the IOM TT Formula 1 race in 1977

It was a one race World Championship (Phil won)

Good luck with the rebuild.

Phil's site is here: www.philread.org (I look after it for him)

;D

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 06:00:54 PM »
You're on the ball there Steve, and good link.

I didn't know if the bike was raced in Northern Ireland at all which is what i was guessing at.....thinking it would be good interesting for Viper to photo his restored bike on a section of road circuit related to the original machine.

I liked watching Phil Read when visiting the races with my dad when I was much younger, my favourite was the last of the MV 500-4 racers he battled the coming two strokes on....and saw him race quite a few times at Mallory....remember him sitting in the paddock in a grey Jensen Interceptor probably about 1974 ish.

Happy days when as a kid I could just wander around the paddock.

Offline Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice and Photos.

I have attached some photos of the old girl. She is not in bad shape but just needs some care to bring her back to mint. She has stood in a garage since 1983 covered in a film of oil.

The spokes and hubs are a little pitted and I had hoped to maybe have the hubs painted. Is this easy done. I intend to repaint the lower fork legs as the paint is flaking a little. The engine fins are similar. Were the engines painted or powder coated?

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 08:57:19 PM »
Beautiful, i just love the PRR, i have one stashed away waiting for restoration, as for cleaning the wheels it is possible to remove the clear coat or clear anodising off the rims , but you have to sand it quite aggressivly, then go through the grades and polish it , a bit of tedious rubbing down, masking and a decent aluminium paint and you can  tidy up the spokes to look respectable again

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:10:10 PM »
That looks really good viper. I went to see a PRR a couple of weeks ago. It had been stood out in the bloke's garden for years and was completely rotten/siezed. Original exhaust as well. Ivy growing all up it. Such a shame.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 09:58:03 AM »
I never took to the comstar wheels but boy what lovely job you have done well done.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »
That's a very nice bike viper, and what a find for you.

I think they do look good as many "reps" don't look too close to what they are replicating, but in this case I feel they are quite close. I'd love to ride out on one of those on a nice day.

Your question about refinishing the hubs......As they are essentially bolted together many people ask on that basis if they can just dismantle/refinish/bolt back together, but all sensible advice suggests that it's a much more demanding job than it appears, also highlt safety critical as well. Best method is a very thorough clean after removing brakes sprocket etc to get them looking as good as possible without making complex issues for yourself.

Whatever your path I think you'll have a fantastic bike.

Offline Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 11:02:38 AM »
Thanks again for all the sound advice and kind comments regarding the bike lads. Pete, those rims look great. Looks like I have a little bit of work ahead of me. I'll keep the site updated with my progress.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »
It's worth adding something to this string about the rim surface finish, I like them both ways either polished or original more dull finish.

The original is I think an anodised surface.....which is a controlled corrosion of the bare component to a depth of about 2~3 microns (if my recall is correct) this is usually quite a hard finish and if fundamentally undamaged is very resistant to any corrosion advance which is why they last so well.

As you found Pete, it is even quite resistant to removal as you have to take off the whole top surface to get below the protection.....then would have to re-protect the finish to maintain them in that shiny state.

I thought I'd add this to allow anyone looking in to this that once you start even on a small area you are really commiting to go the whole way.....the finish is not recoverable to an anodised state with a strip to individual components once ou get going.

If you've got them in good condition as standard you may feel it worthwhile to just keep them clean.

That's another point.....those agressive chemical cleaners can alter the look of anodising so should be avoided if you want to keep them looking nice (if you look at some car roof rails that have been cleaned with some of those products you can see a very obvious "whiting" effect in some areas) they are basically the same fininsh as these rims.

Offline bytio

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
CAM STAR Wheels
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 10:59:25 PM »
Hi Viper, nice PRR, where in he uk are you, I have one s well, just rebuilding engine at moment.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »
I look forward to seeing this on the road one day.....Nice bike.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal