Author Topic: swinging arm grief  (Read 2095 times)

Offline gasman

• View Profile
swinging arm grief
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:31:09 PM »
Hi Guys
Need some help-- imported a k5 from the states, complete strip down ongoing, have a problem with s/arm. Removed the s/arm which had roller bearings in place, took them out [infact they fell apart] went to replace them with some brass bushes which seems to be the way to go. Went to insert the collar over the spindle-- its a bit slack when inserted into the bushes. Cant find an answer, anyone had a similar prob. Big Help please

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: swinging arm grief
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:11:50 AM »
If you used the collar that was with the rollers it is the wrong size for bushes, you will need the proper Honda one.

now some of the later ones have been discontinued but you can fit the earlier one, just sit down when you check the price.

Also GREASE EVERY YEAR OR 1,500 MILES

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
If Bryanj is correct with using an earlier one they are available unlike the k6s.I have found two on eBay 220538435391  59 euros 181029288545  48 euros cmnsl 54.50 and DS 49 SQUID+TAX.
Does anybody know what the difference is?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »
There are scrolls machined on the outer diameter at both ends of the early one and a hole at each end throgh the wall for grease to get through, whilst the later ones have no scroll just a groove and hole.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 01:36:47 PM »
Thanks for the info Bryanj.On my k2 the grease nipples was on both ends of the main bolt which in my view was the best on the later ones the nipple is located halfway along the arm and arkward so is this the reason they re engineered it to make it better?Can I convert it back to the k2 way if I can get the main bolt?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »
Yes Mate, if you can get the bolt. Unless you are anal about originality drill and tap the ends 6mm and fit better nipples than the push in honda ones

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:07:14 PM »
Brillant Bryanj I can get hold  an original bolt and yes I am anal and thinking how long have I got left after my bruv died this month only a bit older than me and would love the bike  to be as I remembered.This month bought loads of new bits and have decided to restore all again as its so frackin boring here in the winter.So its classsic gold radio and lots of grunting going on in the workshop.Only doing this for something to do and I still have a dribble of oil leaking down between 2 and 3 cylinders not the head gasket.
Appreciate your knowledge
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
swinging arm grief
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »
Classic Gold in France. That must be online?

I lived in Germany for a while in the late 80s. Their TV and radio was dreadful. VoA was the only English language station. No satellite in those days.

Thankfully my boss saw sense and sent me back to the UK after a couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:28:59 PM by SteveD CB500F »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 08:01:19 PM »
Sorry to hear of your loss bitsa and wishing you all the best
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Thanks for that tom400f but I should have said capital classic gold of Astra sat.
Many thanks to all
Bitsa

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »
Hi Guys
Thanks for the info guys, have found the forum brilliant, ordered a centre bush from holland, and yeah I sat down whilst paying for it, why so expensive?Having also just purchased a cbx from the states, [as well as my two cb750s] I am told it is now more viable to break these bikes and sell as spares. Will this reflect on used prices?
regards neal

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal