Author Topic: How much for painting a complete cb750 bodywork set  (Read 3513 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
How much for painting a complete cb750 bodywork set
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »
I am trying to get quotes for painting my K0 bodywork, no replies to my emails yet, the thing is i want to go somewhere as near as possible to me , south eastLondon / Kent,
It seems that most of the good painters are  hundreds of miles away from me, i would like to be able to drive somewhere and drop off my stuff, veiw the persons work, ask a few questions face to face and get the confidence in the people doing the work rather than doing it on the phone and sending off by courior
The names that keep cropping up are dream machine and andrew parnaby, but there are mixed feelings for both of these depending on who you ask, plus they are to far from me, there must be someone in the southeast who is good with Honda candy colours, i just need to find them, also at a guess what would be a fair price to pay for the tank headlight bowl, fork ears airbox and side panels ,am i looking at under a grand, or over grand, I am seriously thinking of having a go at the spraying myself, but doing a dummy run on a spare set of bodywork just to see if i can get it right
Pete

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: How much for painting a complete cb750 bodywork set
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 11:47:31 PM »
Can only recount one experience with Andrew parnaby. Sure there was a thread with pictres of his work, but £500 for the job was steep, but he used the correct paint and applied stripes without decals. try and find the link if you want.
I guess you really want someone to recommend work from experience as you only pay once.Difficult as the work I had done was for someone else's bike so I had to be sure it would be a good job, and it was.
Good luck mate, hope you find a painter to match the work you have done

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »
Are there any custom car painters in the area? Also DIY is a real risk as the paints contain nasties and should only be used with air fed masks and full clothing cover etc.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:14:35 AM »
Seamus £500 is well cheap,wish i could find somone charging that price and doing a top job, it would be great if you could dig out that thread
I have done spraying before, i am aware of the nasties, and am probably going to die young due to my stupidity, but then i smoked for 30 years, and done all sorts of other stupid things, i suppose that says it all that i am still prepared to take the risk,
As for custom car painters, thats a good idea, although ideally i want someone who has done the candy cb's and knows all about them, you may notice i try and do as much as possible myself , as i have had so many dissapointments with other peoples work, even when good money is paid, i cant take any risks with my paint, like you say seamus only want to pay once
Pete

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »
Hi Pete,
cannot find that thread, but found the photos of the tank and panels:

Hope these are of use. These were done a while ago, so my need to check price

Andrew Parnaby's mobile is 07745 595013

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »
Hi Pete I highly recommend www.daytonapaint.co.uk they did my bike for £370   8) :)
Tell them Mick with the green 750k1 recommended them as i,m after a discount on my gold k1 ;) ;)
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:22:41 PM »
Thanks guys , i will get quotes from both,
seamus the gold tank and panels look good, are they as good when you get up close?
Mick Daytona's are only 60 miles from me so definetly a possibilty, is your green k1 the one you had a real good offer for ?
Pete

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
It is the same bike still can't believe I was offered that much and I still can't part with it.
It may have been a one of as I have not put know were near as much effort into my bike as you have  :-[
I'm sure it's the paint that makes my bike
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »
Hi Pete,
The paintwork looked very very good. I had to pick them up as Andrew would not post them in case they got damaged. He was worried that the paint would not have been hard enpugh to survive rubbing from any packaging material. (They had not been painted long, so paint was still soft) He did use the correct paint to get that finish and did say there were cheaper ways to get the parts coated, but they were not as good.
Paint was expensive and his criteria was would he be satisfied with the paintwork on any bike he would ride.
Obviously he also paints for Rising Sun Restorations.
Having said that, I am sure that there are folk as capable as him

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal