Author Topic: Exhaust pipe leak  (Read 1270 times)

adrian58

Exhaust pipe leak
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:56:14 PM »
On my K2 I have a leak(mainly on start up) from one or two of the front pipes where they push on to the exhaust stub. Don't want to strip the threads on the finned clamps by over-tightening. Is it ok to use some car type exhaust paste or can anyone recommend a different solution. Thank Adrian. Ps the problem with my starter motor seems to have gone.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust pipe leak
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:59:19 AM »
Hi Adrian you could use a bit of exhaust paste or some clear silicone smeared on the exhaust stub it might cure your leak  ;), i have used clear silicone on exhaust manifolds and joints with great success  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »
Normal reason for a leak there is the pipe not pushed quite far enough on, but paste can be used

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
As the previous posts have said a little attention to carefully make sure they are pushed right in as far as possible usually makes a reliable seal.

Also make sure the clamp bolts are free so that the threads aren't the limit of torque applied...I've always used copaslip on these threads so that the clamps apply the most force to the exhuast sealing and they do seem to work well.

That seems like good news for the starter then and just lets you keep an eye on it in future....when they are ok they generally give very few problems so hopefully you won't need any extra work.

adrian58

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »
Thanks for your help. Used copperslip on the threads. Thinks maybe put a bit more on them and work the bolts back and for and see if that does the trick. if not I think silicone is a good suggestion. Thanks again and happy Christmas to all.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal