Author Topic: rear wheel bearing retainer oil seal  (Read 2606 times)

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
rear wheel bearing retainer oil seal
« on: December 24, 2012, 05:01:52 PM »
3 months ago I started what I thought would be a very simple wheel swap, I've now reached the point where I'm out of patience. All that remains is to fit the oil seal part number 19 in the link below into the retainer part number 3 then refit it to the bike.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550k3-four-england_model14671/partslist/F11.html#results

I eventually resorted to having a dealer transfer the retainer, when he refitted the seal he commented that he thought it was the wrong one as it was a nightmare to fit. I removed it as he didn't fit the collar part number 6 behind it, I then trashed it trying to refit, I've now just ruined the replacement I bought from wemoto. I'd expect to be able to push it in by hand, but there's no chance, even winding it in on the axle with old bearings as spacers just crushed it, the seal simply has too large an OD.

Are there any miss sized seals or retainers floating about that anyone knows of?
As the bearings are double sealed what's the thoughts on leaving out this seal? I'd rather not, but fitting it doesn't appear to be an option.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: rear wheel bearing retainer oil seal
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 10:36:36 PM »
Where are you trying to fit it into? not the bearing retainer I hope.

Yes, into the retainer. That's where it was removed from, but I'm guessing from your message that isn't correct?

Cheers

Allan

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:58:19 PM »
From memory doesn't the seal fit into the chromed plate outboard of the sprocket not the screwed retainer?

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 11:51:20 PM »
I don't have the plate, I was told they only came with OEM sprockets and are no longer available. I was also told they are not required - trouble is I've got no idea if that's correct.

I've ordered a seal sized to fit the retainer.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 02:17:01 PM »
I've found a photo on the US site and it all makes sense now. The plate holds a large O ring and the oil seal, neither the plate or O ring are listed as available on any site I've checked so far.

Cheers

Allan 

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »
I'm considering reassembling how it was in the short term until I can source a plate. Going by the corrosion on the collar it had been like this for some time. The seal was fitted in the retainer and the collar was fitted wide end out. The two problems I can see with this is the retainer is exposed to dirt and the thickness of the plate on the end of the collar is lost, A washer and some wax oil may do in the short term, what do you think?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »
Nah mate the collar fits right through the plate and as long as you use double sealed bearings you will be OK

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 11:09:35 PM »
Bearings are double sealed so this suddenly sounds straight forward again. Cheers.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »
No, the old wheel doesn't have a plate either, it had the standard seal forced into the retainer - that's what caused my initial confusion.

I've ordered a seal that should fit into the retainer, with the collar reversed just to ensure the seal doesn't work it's way out I'll then have the same additional sealing for the bearings as standard. It will mean that I wont have the plate and O-ring keeping dirt out off the retainer, I'm thinking of just coating it in waxoil.
I think this should be OK long term, but I'll still keep an eye out for a plate turning up at a reasonable price.
I'm looking to get it back on the road fairly quickly so I can do the little jobs my vfr needs without having to rush them.

Cheers

Allan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal