Author Topic: Registering a bike that hasn't been known to DVLA before ??  (Read 3587 times)

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Registering a bike that hasn't been known to DVLA before ??
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:20:11 PM »
Hi
I had bought a bike in bits from EBay a while ago but the seller didn't have a V5 or remember the reg number !! Stupidly  bought it thinking I could just apply for a reg number
 from the frame number !!

Ooh no I can't !! It seems that the DVLA have no record or the frame number, I contacted the Police thinking it was nicked but after checks it seems the bike was never registered in the UK but Honda Japan could tell the Police that it is a 1975 bike from the frame number .
The prob I have now is how the hell do I get a reg number ,I'm told I need to get it mot ed on the frame number and insure it on that number also. Will I still need dating certificate etc if the police have been in touch with DVLA and confirmed the age ?
Do I need to get it verified by Honda owners club ??
Any ideas will be much appreciated

Amos
Amos

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Registering a bike that hasn't been known to DVLA before ??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »
BryanJ has answered this one quite a few times.

Bryan: write up a response for Amos and I'll post it up as a FAQ.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »
OK Steve here goes! Note:- Some comments relate to just this case so may need deleting before saving Steve

First thing to do is write to Honda UK at:-
Honda (UK)- Motorcycles
470 London Road
Slough
Berkshire
SL38QY

Last phone number i have is 01753590500

You request a "Proof of year of Build" letter and quote the full stamped in frame number---DO NOT add a model number or any other information! Also there is no point in asking for any other info such as engine number or colour as no records were kept!

The cost was about £30 and it may take up to 8 weeks! so DO NOT Yet arrange insurance

In the meantime you need to get the bike to MOT standard and if you have a trailer/van take it for MOT. If not you will need to do this VERY quickly after getting insurance (see later on)

If the bike was imported from outside the EU you will need a document from HMRC stating that all import duties have been payed.

In this particular case you may have a problem as the Customs man will want to know an approximate date of import, place and value at time so you may have to fib and say it came from the EU, I neither condone nor recommend this course of action ;)

Go to the DVLA website and you should find somewhere to request the appropriate forms for registering an import NOTE there are different forms for EU and "Outside EU"

With all your paperwork collected arrange frame number insurance, which most firms will only allow for 30 days(hence VERY quick MOT if this is the way you need to go) so do it last and with proof of that plus all the other paperwork make an appointment with your local DVLA office to hand it all in with the Registration fee(see DVLA website) and a years tax.

This is where a manufacturers letter is better than an owners club or one of the other sources as you should not need the vehicle inspected by the DVLA---at least that's what is was last time i did it

Hope this helps and if anybody wants to talk about it PM me and i will send you contact details

Good luck

Bryan

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:12:35 AM by Bryanj »

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »
Thanks for that it clears some questions I had up
Ill let u know how I get on
Amos
Amos

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
Spoke to MOT man today he's telling me I need a dating cert before he can MOT the bike !
Anyone heard of this ? Is he correct
Can anyone let me know

Cheers

Amos
Amos

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 08:29:59 PM »
Hi Amos i have been through the same thing as you i bought a cb750 off ebay in 2005 with no documents or reg number,

i asked on here and got excellent advice off Bryan,

write to honda uk and ask for year of manufacture letter, once you have that as bryan says it can take a while and did cost me £30,

insure and mot on frame number, go to local dvla office with all documents and proof of your identity and dosh to pay fees,

if all goes ok walk out of dvla with age related reg number and tax and log book in post,  8) cheers Mick.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 06:44:47 AM »
Unless the rules have changed the MOT man does not need the dating letter , all he needs is an APROXIMATE year of build

Offline Oldbuthopeful

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »

My experience when registering my US Import 350Four was much the same as others have related except I went along the VJMC dating route for the age related plate.  The VJMC letter cost me nothing as I'd joined the club but it was interesting to read a comment on here suggesting that with a club letter you may be asked to present the bike for inspection whereas with a Honda Motor Co. letter you may not.  Dead right !  Having gone through the Local DVLA Office procedure, produced all the forms and paid my hard earned, I was asked to bring the bike in for the Examiner to inspect.  (When I built a Norton 650SS in the 70's the Examiner came to the house, but all that seems to have changed).

When I got the bike to the DVLA Office (in a hired van with driver - I needed the muscle to get it in and out of the van!) the actual inspection took a mere 2 minutes.  But here's the point.  What most interested the Examiner was the frame number and, because I'd had the frame powder coated, it had been all but obliterated.  Fortunately, I'd refixed the manufacturers plate on the headstock and the stamped numbers on the frame were just about visible (but not readable). I was told that they'd accept it only because the bike had obviously been restored to a high standard but it was touch and go.

So, the message is  -  if you're having your frame powder coated I suggest you ask the guy doing the job to cover over the stamped frame numbers before applying the powder coating.  Alternatively, carefully scrape off the finished coating to reveal the numbers - you can re-coat the bare metal with a dab of paint on a small brush.  It might just save some 'job's-worth'
Examiner from giving you a 'fail' instead of a 'pass' .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal