Author Topic: Ultrasonic cleaning??  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Jimbo550

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Ultrasonic cleaning??
« on: January 10, 2013, 05:48:26 PM »
Hi.  I'm looking for advice on ultrasonic cleaning for some cb550 cards. The carbs are pretty good and the bike went well before I stripped it so I'm reluctant to change any settings or fiddle to much as I'm no expert with carbs. They are a little dirty and could do with a clean before refitting and I'd like advice on ultrasonic cleaning. How much for a set of 550 cards? Do the carbs need to be broken down?  How good is ultrasonic cleaning? Any hints would be great fully received.

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Ultrasonic cleaning??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:17:48 PM »
Hi, Jimbo, I stripped the carbs on my K3 and ultrasonic cleaned them. A friend who`s a retired Honda mechanic set them up for me and the bike ran lovely. It then stood for over 12 months (house move etc), I tried starting it but it wasn`t having any. A squirt with carb cleaner and fresh petrol and she`s running as good as ever!!!!
My mate, the ex Honda mechanic says that he wouldn`t have stripped them, just used carb cleaner and emptied the can while it was running just to make sure!!
Just my twopenny worth.
Cheers, Nigel.
Do or do not...there is no try!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:26:41 PM »
I'm of a similar oppinion to Nigel on this, generous dose of carb cleaner, for the  outside add 1 toothbrush to scrub stubborn residue if shiny is your thing, personally I wouldn't go to that effort if it's running well as re doing the full setup rigmorale can be a chore and a half.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Jimbo550

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 09:57:19 PM »
I,m beginning to think a can of carb cleaner is the way ahead. The bike ran real sweet before rebuild so I'm reluctant to fiddle to much. A mate used ultrasonic cleaning for his kawasaki z9 carbs and he wasn't to impressed and ended using a can of cleaner to finish them off.  Thanks for the advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal