Author Topic: k4 colour options ?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline mancman

• View Profile
k4 colour options ?
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »
hi guys im currently restoring an american cb 750 k4. its been custom painted and i want to have it repainted back to a more period colour . my research has shown that this us model was only available in 3 colour options ; flake sunrise orange.freedom green mettalic,boss maroon mettalic. unfortunately i dont like any of them!! so i am going to have to compromise on its originality a little to get something i will want to ride . my 2 alternatives seem to be candy red from the earlier models or planet blue mettalic from the slightly later bike . i have seen candy blue mettalic mentioned but i dont know if this was a 750 colour ? anyone got any advice on the matter and furthermore can anyone recomend where i can get the paint from or where i could get the full job done around the manchester area.     thanks for reading garry

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: k4 colour options ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »
I have an american Bulletin book that shows all the colours of all models for several years, if you PM me your direct email i will scan and send to you. As to paint RS paints will supply but the paints contain "nasties" and need full air flow spraying kit
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:37:30 PM by Bryanj »

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »
Hi Mancman
I have two cb750s from the states, one a k4 and the other a k5, niether available in the u/k. My k4 is as good as the same as a u/k k2, it was blue when I got it but the colour did not do the bike justice. I believe the best colour for this bike is candy gold, a glorious colour, u/k k2s were  candy gold or poly blue, both look good--as my k4 is on a "m" plate, the years of a k2 here, it looks good in gold on this plate. My other k5 is the same as a k6 here, have left this in freedom green, it looks better over time. I thought about changing it to the u/k k6 colour of candy red or blue, the bike is on a "n" plate, again that should reflect in a candy gold or poly blue for that year but I will live with it in green. The pureists will pick this up straight away. Its a personal taste the colour-- but I think its important to match colour to the year or you will get fed up with people telling you its wrong-- thats what I get with my "n" reg in freedom green.
regards neal

Offline mancman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »
cheers for the replies guys .i have sent you my email address bryan and thanks for your thoughts neal. you mention poly blue being a colour of the time ,was it a mettalic ? would anyone know how much paint i would need to do the tank and side panels ?   thanks again garry

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »
Dear Garry
The poly blue was metalic, available from RS paints and the gold stripes are available from germany, I paid about 20 pounds for mine, the transfer for --ride safely is also a nice touch. As already mentioned, for a top notch job the correct paint has a silver base then three coats of very ify paint, get it done proffesionally with a good coat of petrol resistant laquer. Have a look at the gallery on this site for the candy gold, allways looks good.
regards neal

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal