Author Topic: carb settings on usa bike ?  (Read 2128 times)

Offline mancman

• View Profile
carb settings on usa bike ?
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:20:14 AM »
can anyone tell me if the carb jets and settings on my newly imported cb750 k4 will be ok for use here in the uk ? the carbs are kehlien 657b wih 110main and 40slow jets with the clip set in the 4th groove down. the bike has come from the state of ohio {not a emmission phobic state like california !}, so im thinking that this, plus the fact that the climate there is not too diferent from ours i should be okay .the bike will only get occasional use in the summer months, so as long as i wont be doing any piston damage etc i am willing to compromise on a bit of performance etc if need be .    thanks for reading garry     

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: carb settings on usa bike ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »
Hi Mancman
I too have a k4 motor.My set up is the same as yours except needle clips are on the middle grove.I have had no problems with this and on occasions after 30 mile ride I do check the colour of the plugs and so far aok.I assume standard airbox etc.
Hope this helps you.
Regards
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline mancman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »
thanks bitsa, yeah standard airbox . can anyone tell me if by having the clip 1 groove lower on my setup will make things run a little richer or will it lean things out. ?

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:20:50 PM »
Mancman,It should in theory make it leaner on throttle opening.The only real way of finding out is on a run throttle wide open (when warm and off choke) hit kill switch coast to a stop and whip out a plug the colour will determine too much or too little.Nice light brownie colour is your goal.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 07:14:31 AM »
Ummmmmmm, am I being dumb ( I usually am, beer soaked brain cells etc etc ) but if you put needle clip a groove LOWER, that RAISES the needle and allows more fuel in therefore richening mixture?

Not that I think it will amount to a whole hill of beans. See how she runs and check plug colour, it won't be far out. If you have carbs apart you could richen it up now on the basis that that will not cause damage, just rough running etc, then lean out as necessary.

I think the air in France is about the same as here ( it just sounds funny  :) ) so if Bitsa's is OK yours should be too

Offline mancman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 08:13:09 AM »
many thanks guys.it sounds like as the clip on my needle is already set 1 groove lower than bitsas {thus it will be sitting higher and allowing a slightly richer mixture} i will leave it at that for now as suggested.  i had to dismantle the carbs, due to the throttle bar that they are connected to was seized in its bushes ! so i am going to have to set them up from scratch when i reasemble .  any advice or tips on getting a bench setting to start off with would be greatly appreaciated .     regards garry

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 07:35:14 AM »
For my F1 build I had to cobble together a set of carbs due to various problems with the originals. All I did was to ensure that all carbs slides were fully home when the throttle was shut ( measured the slide cutaway showing ) and that they all opened at the same time. That was enought to get it running ( roughly ) when I connected the balancer I found only 2 carbs registered!! so fair bit of tweekage then occurred! but it goes to show you can usually get it started even with the carbs a fair way out!

The more enterprising aongst us have attempted balancing using a vacuum cleaner! ( see thread 'Carb balancing - on the bench' ) up to you if you want to go that far but as long as the motor is timed OK and valve clearances set it should start.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal