Author Topic: K2 Handlebars - E (nglish) spec?  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
K2 Handlebars - E (nglish) spec?
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
....I ask because the brake master cylinder rubber boot pushes moderately hard up against the tachometer. (I've ensured the enclosed 'oil bolt' has clearance)

The handle bars appear OEM, with the loom cut-outs, punch markings (to line up) etc. I've installed them iaw the punch marks.... and am left with this squashed protective boot.

Can't believe Honda would have planned this - help / comments?

Ta.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:19:04 PM by Lobo »

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: K2 Handlebars - E (nglsh) spec?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:06:10 AM »
Think a pic might help, maybe you have something non-standard? Don't have a K2 myself but it doesn't sound right, there isn't a lot of space / clearance on my F1 ( which definitely does have standard bars ) but it doesn't touch. Is the master cylinder reservoir vertical? is a brake line too short and pulling the mastercylinder out of line?

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: K2 Handlebars - E (nglish) spec?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:15:21 PM »
Here ya go...

Just to re-iterate, the brake cylinder 'hardware' is actually clear of the tacho by 5mm or so, but the rubber boot is somewhat squished.

All the adjustments are at extreme, assuming I don't want to ride with the brake lever vertical!

All-in-all not overly concerning, just can't believe Honda would have designed it thus & so wondering if I'm missing something obvious. (oversize after-market brake cylinder, aftermarket instrument mount etc etc)

(Notably the clutch cable is a little long...but I guess to cater for the higher bars American models?)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:19:57 PM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:17:52 PM »
Thanks OddJob... and darn, the bloody hours I spent last summer re soldering the starter button / re-threading the looms into the 'bars.,.

Visually they look identical to the DSS offering, and coupled to this I do remember reading a thread (elsewhere) about how the UK spec bars had the master cylinder tight up against the tacho.

I've just measured the longest length across the bars (inc rubber grips) @ 28". Anyone care to give me the definitive UK measurement?

Finally, surprised (& disappointed) as this bike always been UK spec, and only one owner 'til me last April. Knew bits had been renewed / reconditioned - but never suspected the 'bars.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:09:58 AM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »
...just found this old ad for English spec "Original Honda Bars" quoting # 53100-300-610, and although the angle perhaps deceiving they look like mine... tho' maybe (?) a tad more angled. Will try a photo tomorrow from same perspective as the ad...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:53:09 PM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »
... and here's my 'bars from roughly the same angle as the ad for 'English bars'. Looks same perhaps?... tho' mine might well have shallower angles.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:16:51 PM »
I'd be inclined to say they look standard for UK K2 to me (I don't have access to one at the moment) but just the recall of riding them is that they feel quit narrow compared to other bikes at that time....there is not much surplus there....also I remember from working on them that the brake pipe leaving the master cylinder passes to the left of the fork-leg pinch bolt as yours appears to..... being between the bolt and the casting that leads up to the tacho.

It is a bit tight threading those wires through the bars isn't it...I certainly remember doing that!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal