Author Topic: View's on electronic ignition,  (Read 1676 times)

Offline smitzer

• View Profile
View's on electronic ignition,
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:47:46 PM »
I recently bought a 78 f2,it had stood in a garden shed for over 10 years,since getting it i have been trying to get it in running condition,i fitted a david silver elec ignition,new battery,new carb insulators,new airbox rubbers,changed oil,new plugs,i have spark on all four plugs,should i go back to points,i fitted the electronic ignition as per instruction and have the little red light on as the engine is spinning,it fired earlier with easystart for a few seconds,anybody know what should be my next step,,,,
Thanks in advance
Smitzer
Smitzer

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: View's on electronic ignition,
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:20:39 PM »
Take out the plugs,pour some fuel direct into the cylinders.insert the plugs,be quick about it and burl her over.always works for me
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:57:45 AM »
I would work with new points. you are introducing an unknown variable by using the electronic  ignition.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:11:21 AM »
If it's stood for 10 years and you haven't stripped/cleaned the carbs it won't stand much chance

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:23:36 AM »
Go with Bryan on this one. First job should be strip and clean carbs. 10 year old fuel will be like varnish in those jets now.

Offline smitzer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »
Sorry lads, i failed to mention i have stripped and cleaned the carbs and fitted new keyster carb kits,only thing i didn't replace was the slow jets but i blew them out with compressed air,i have a new points setup here so i might try it out to get it to run,will get back to you if i have any luck.
cheers
Smitzer
Smitzer

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »
If these are the pressed in pilot jets they do need to come out as the cross holes get clogged

Offline smitzer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »
Ok lads,i changed the brand new electronic ignition today and went back to points new one's that is,cleaned the new plugs as they had seen a lot of engine spinning without firing,with a little coughing it fired up and is running,and a nice quiet engine it is to,15k showing on the clock i'm the second owner so hopefully it genuine,now at least i can start to make plans as to what im gonna do with her,thanks for the help lads,must try put a pic up.
Cheers
Smitzer
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58865138@N08/8119985666/
Smitzer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal