Author Topic: Front brake squeal  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Front brake squeal
« on: February 01, 2013, 02:38:43 PM »
Yeah I know, they all do that! but mine is causing the local cat population to stampede and shattering windows within a 5 mile radius.

I have el cheapo brake pads fitted ( dunno make - threw package away but I got them from Wemoto ) and coated the backs with brake copper grease

Anyone had any success in improving this? different pads? shims? cutting grooves? don't use the grease?

I know roughening the pad surface stops it, but only for a little while, and at this rate I will be replacing pads rather more regularly than I had anticipated!

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Front brake squeal
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:36:22 AM »
Hi Waggles

I two have cheap brake pads fitted from DS made in Taiwan ::).They look crap but work well once bedded in.But it still shocks me every time I use the Triumph afterwards I nearly face planted myself into a roundabout.But on the plus side they don't make any noise at all.I didn't put grease on mine but that was because I forgot in my rush to put it together again.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:56:42 AM »
The squeal on both bikes and cars seems to be related to pad material, although I've never seen a sure way of stopping it for many years.....sometimes it seems different methods as you describe can affect it but nobody seems certain.

Effectively you've got the pads to chatter on the disc surface, which sets the rasonance going through the disc (this is how I've had it explained to me) if you can prevent that surface interaction then the disc itself won't magnify it.

Make sure that you do have the right clearance to the disc if it's on the adjustable swing type calipers.

You could try this; rough the pads as you've previously done.....then when installed, run it around with the brake dragging to get it really hot......when it is, don't stop the bike while its' that hot but drive normally to let it cool......this is an old method of bedding in friction material and conditioning the surface of the pads original formed to get any of the unstable resins used in manufacture to burn out of the pad structure and can be surprisingly effective......assuming that was the cause.

It usually gives you a better initial "bite" and more linear response as well if it has any affect....not quite what the Triumph has though ;)

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:09:25 AM »
OK, thanks guys.

Am inclined to think its the material so will replace with a different type and see how we go. Adjustment of brake is OK so it can only be material or bedding in. I usually bed mine in carefully and don't use them hard until the sponginess has gone as I heard that hard use might 'Glaze' the pads surface and cause squeals but despite that mine still does it so who knows!

Haven't ridden a modern bike but I can imagine the difference!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:39:36 AM »
have you got the nylon washer that goes between the piston and pad, it can make a difference but not always

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:28 AM »
Aha, hadn't thought of that, wonder if this is the problem. I fitted a new stainless piston which don't have that cover that the plastic washer sits on, so you can see into the piston's interior just like on a car, but of course cars have shims etc I effectively have nothing but copper grease twix piston and pad. Rear is fine but of course that has shims too. Doubt I can fit the standard cover as there is no step inside the piston. perhaps I will attempt to make a shim if I can stop it flying out!

Offline BobbyR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:10:08 PM »
I bought some Ferodo Pads from a place call Vinbrake. They stop very well, but they do squeak now and then, much less than the EDC.  I have come to think of it as a second horn.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal