Author Topic: new member electrics question  (Read 1712 times)

Offline colinpg

• View Profile
new member electrics question
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »
hi all great to find a site with so much info. i've had a 550 chop for years but the engines siezed, manged to get a new engine and was told it was a 550 but turns out its a 500. just want to know if all the ignition and charging electrics are the same. cheers in advance.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: new member electrics question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »
Same, electrically speaking only clutch cable arrangements and rear engine mounting plate different but not radically and probably not too much of a difficulty on a chop anyway.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline colinpg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »
cheers
it'll be a while before i get to the electrics but just making sure i'm not going to have to spend a fortune on different parts.
do you think it would be ok to fire the engine up without the reg/rec connected. just want to make sure the 500 engine is running before i break the donor bike all down.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:13:18 PM »
I reacon so. I start mine up on the bench with just jump leads to the coils and exhaust tempoarily fitted, engine on a block of wood to give clearence with the pipes. It's good to know tthe thing runs before installing it.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 05:01:26 AM »
OK to run with reg/rec TOTALLY disconnected, but not with generator cover off OR with reg/rec connected but no battery

Offline colinpg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:31:25 PM »
cheers guys hopfully give it try in the next week.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
OK to run with reg/rec TOTALLY disconnected, but not with generator cover off OR with reg/rec connected but no battery

Oops,

Often run my bikes with no battery and regulator connected (on both my 400 and 750). What damage will I have done?
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 07:37:12 AM »
If its the original mechanical reg no problem but if it has a combined electronic reg/rec  and there is some residual magnetism you can blow the electronics, didn't have time to say all that before

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal