Author Topic: Avon road rider problems  (Read 3157 times)

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Avon road rider problems
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
Hi
Thought I'd treat my bike to a new set of tyres for summer ,I have roadrunner on it at have ordered some road riders  from tyre tec at £142 for the pair
I've been waiting for about 3 weeks now as Avon are having problems with the tread cracking on them 120/90/18
I've spoken to the company today and the chap on the phone said he would contact them ASAP and get the lowdown ,just don't want to be messed about if they are available .
I like the look of the tyre but anyone have a good idea for an alternative just in case I can't get them

Cheers

Amos

Amos

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Avon road rider problems
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »
Hi Amos don't know if theres anything of use on here for you but i've bought tyres off then before and had excellent service,  8),

http://www.vintagetyres.com/search?qs=HONDA+CB750+750CC+1968-75&cat=2

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
Avon sm mk2m 4.00 18  rear tye worked well with avon roadrunner front on my cb550 and my bmw r80rt, I really inpressed my mate with the bmw's ability to lean over at a crazy angle going round roundabouts with him on the pillion, about the only time he had anything nice to say about the bmw, yes, it's ugly and I prefer my Honda but it is hard to knock the handling and the Avon tyres were excellent on it.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 10:21:53 PM »
when we were younger we used to take the piss out of avon "square deaths" as the were affectionatley known but they are a hard wearing and grippy tyre  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:44:40 AM »
Avon Square Masters and Dunlop K70's were much of a muchness when it was pre unit Triumphs but nowadays  it is Metzelers or Continentals

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:13:08 AM »
Am currently using Avon Squaremaster rear and Avon Speedmaster(!) ribbed front ( for extra pleasure ) and have no complaints, haven't done enough miles to really comment on life tho.

I have heard elsewhere that non ribbed front tyres can cause handling issues causing the bike to 'wander', have never had anything else ( even back in the day ) so can't really comment, but as I say, no complaints as yet.

Worth bearing in mind tho that if you are throttle happy a 750 is theoretically able to exceed the speed rating for these tyres ( I'm OK tho coz although the bike can, I most definitely can't  ;) )

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
I have a pair of road riders on my F2, great tyres, i would recomend them

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 06:59:48 PM »
I've use the sm mk2 with lots of different tyres and they've been fine and given no issues regardless of riding style and they've always lasted well too. My use has covered winter riding as well as summer, and sidecar and solo use and they are good for sustained 70mph with a spare motorbike in the chair. I really rate them, though they do suffer a bit if power sliding a combo on a regular basis - not easy as they grip like the proverbial.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 04:03:59 PM »
Thanks for all your info
shopped the world for a rear tyre Avon roadrider no luck,the web sites may say they have them but ooooooh no !!

gone for a set of Dunlop GT501 s seem to be in keeping with my bike and TyreTech sold them to me for the same price because of all my problems

anyone had 501s ??  any feed back ?? long lasting ??

cheers

Amos  :)
Amos

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal