Author Topic: Indicator wiring  (Read 2113 times)

Offline buxtonmick

• I must be mad
    • View Profile
Indicator wiring
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:02:24 PM »
I'm just onto mounting the indicators and each one has a single black wire coming from it, yet on the wiring diagram there are two wires from each indicator.  Anyone help me out with the connections / purpose of the other wire?

Thanks again, Mick.

Offline buxtonmick

• I must be mad
    • View Profile
Re: Indicator wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »
Thanks, they do have the ID colour rings on (I'm sure they're original) and the rear mounts have little tabs on, so I assumed that the indicator case earthed through contact with the mount.  Now I know that the other wire would actually be for the earth I have something to work with!

Cheers, Mick.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:15:20 AM »
Also if you are looking at a US wiring diagram they have twin filament front indicators to use as running lights---dont even think about trying it they are not legal in UK

Offline ashewan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »
Hi,
Just finished wiring up my UK 1975 cb400. As you say "....... and the rear mounts have little tabs on, so I assumed that the indicator case earthed through contact with the mount.........". That how I wired up the rear and they work.
The front indicators hang on the headlight stay assembly and there the indicator case has to be earthed using the reflectors on either side of the headlamp. The nut inside the headlamp holding the reflectors has an earth wire soldered onto it.
Well I say '..has to be earthed..', that's the way I did it and they worked just fine. Somebody might have some other way!
Andrew

Offline buxtonmick

• I must be mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »
Ashewan mate, brilliant reply - that's exactly how my bike is, I was wondering about the front earthing!  That helps a lot.  Thanks and welcome to the forum; I'll be mithering you in future  ;D

Cheers, Mick.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal