Author Topic: needle heights  (Read 1371 times)

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
needle heights
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »
hi
sure ive seen this on here before but anyone have the tech sheet that shows the needle height (slot) for certain main jet sizes ?
I've had probs starting before and moved the needles up one slot which mad some difference but over the winter she seems to be messing about again im stripping the carbs again and would like the definitive slot when i come to strip them again

Thanks again

Amos 8)
Amos

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: needle heights
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
I've not got the info you've asked for but always thought it happens like this; all needles start in the centre slot of usually five, if you need to fine tune for local conditions then you'd pull them up or down to get the engine running well.

If you get to either end slot and find it impossible to get the correct running, then this would be an indication that the main jet was the wrong size and so, you'd then start with a new main jet and put the needle back into the centre slot to start the process again.

If it's starting that's the main problem, then you'd usually be looking at the idle jets/screws and float hieghts and get them working well before you looked at main jetting.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »
This help?

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:23:17 PM »
That's from Mike Nixon's site Seamus.

I speak to him reasonably regularely although he's more active on the US site.

His website www.motorcycleproject.com is well worth a good trawl!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »
Thanks Steve. I sourced thart a good while ago and filed it away for info. Appreciate the link to the website though

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »
Hi Bluemouse
My k4 they are in the middle main jets 110 and airscrew 1 turn out.Standard airbox and 341 exhausts and she runs as sweet as I can remember those days.Maybe this is a starting point for you?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:54:46 AM »
Hey thanks
Will be fitting new throttle cables and checking carbs this Thursday ill check the needles etc and get some fresh fuel as it hasn't been ran since last August

Ill let you know how I get on

Amos
Amos

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal