Author Topic: Engine rebuild, what's gone wrong?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Jimbo550

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Engine rebuild, what's gone wrong?
« on: February 25, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Hello all. After rebuilding the bottom end of my 550 it was time to fire it up today and see how it sounded. The answer was Terrible!!  Initial problem was the starter wasn't working but that could be a flat battery or missed a wire somewhere. I decided to kick it over and she fired up pretty much straight away but I have a terrible noise from the kickstart shaft. When I start to give it revs the kick start is jumping/rattling and the noise gets louder. Any ideas what I've done wrong?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Engine rebuild, what's gone wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:14:02 PM »
Sounds like you haven't got the pawl mechanism in correctly, unfortunately if it's the bit I think you need to split the crankcases again, sorry

Offline Jimbo550

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
I seem to think that if I take the sump off  I can get to the circlip in order to remove the kickstart shaft but I may be wrong.  Previously before I built up I had a snag with the kickstart ratchet not disengaging but I fixed that, or so I thought!!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »
People tell me it's possible but I never managed it, also if that circlip pops off in use majour damage will result. I suspect that the "Leg" of the plate part of the mechanism is not in the slot in the crankcase

Offline Jimbo550

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:25:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the leg was located in the slot as I previously had problems with the ratchets not disengaging. I doesn't sound like ratchets, it almost sounds like a bearing may be spinning in its casting. Gonna drop the sump tomorrow and have a look inside to see if I can see anything.  I'll keep you informed on my findings.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:32:50 AM »
Always possible you haven't got the return spring quite right

Offline Jimbo550

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 05:32:48 PM »
All fixed.  Not quite sure what the problem was but I took the kickstart assembly out, examined it closely and couldn't find any problems. I reassembled it taking my time and it felt better when it went back. Fired her up and she sounds lovely.   I can confirm that it is possible to take the kickstart shaft out by accessing the circlip from the sump with a pair of bent nose circlip pliers. It's a little more difficult replacing it but it can be done.  Thanks for your advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal