Author Topic: Aldi Bike Wear???  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Aldi Bike Wear???
« on: March 08, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »
Hi,

Just seen Aldi are selling bike wear again. I have bought coats for general wear from them before and been pretty impressed with specification for the money. I work in the fabric business so I am hopefully qualified to make such a judgement!

I don't do may miles and usually wear full leathers in anycase so looking at light usage.

Has anyone had any experience with these jackets / leggings. Are they properly waterproof etc?

Appreciate any comments.

Tim
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Aldi Bike Wear???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »
I have their Crane branded boots, over trousers and compression base layer top.

The trousers are excellent for the money. I think they leaked very slightly once after a years usage, after a wash in Nikwax I've had no further issues. (I say I think they leaked as it was so wet that day the water could have gotten in elsewhere, it definitely got through my gloves and Jacket)
The base layer is also good.
The boots are a little naff, not particularly comfortable to walk in, they've sagged at the ankles and looked tatty fairly quickly, but they have remained waterproof.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:04:02 PM »
Lidl also have / had recently had bike gear in. I cannot comment on aldi stuff as there isn't one by me but the Lidl bike gear is great value, I have the waterproofs, boots and thermals and all are waterproof and have proved good for the job after a year for the boots and thermals and the waterproofs are still good after 3 years. I commute all year round on the bike to work 20 miles away but part time so pretty tough.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »
Went for a look in Aldi at m/c jacket today. Well made also elbow, shoulder and back protection. Zip in lining and trousers zip in too. All very nice but none in my size!

I would recommended this as good quality as other posts suggest.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:21:33 PM »
I don't know...

Went though a lot of stuff over the years, but the only thing that works for me are stitches with genuine GoreTex... (Dainese, etc...)
Anything less, D-Dry, Sympatex, etc... just gets me sweating like wearing a garbage bag... or friggen cold and soaked when caught in a downpour...

OTOH will the CB500/4 cafe require some more authentic wear anyway ;)
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »
Authentic gear from 1971-74?

That'll be embroidered loon pants, platform shoes and a tank top then...

[I know, I was there]
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:07:26 PM »
That'll be embroidered loon pants, platform shoes and a tank top then...
LOL! Don't think I wanna go that far back to look like a SWEET reunion ;D

Dark blue Jeans with rolled up pants legs, possibly black laced boots, jacket with embroidered patches, open face helmet...  ;)
Modern high tech gear on a vintage motorcycle... dunno...
STOC #637

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:13:33 PM »
I wouldn't know, I wasn't around until the 80's and for me the sohc thing started as they were dirt cheap commuting fodder, they stayed cos they are better then much of the modern kit and cheaper to insure too. As to the gear, I have 2 criteria, cheap and effective. I prefer leather because it lasts, and lidl waterproofs are great to keep me dry but do look a bit awful,but not as awful as dripping wet me with boots full of water squelching as I walk. We still have a 70's bike lid that my mum used to use back in the day. Bright yellow and looks like a potty- I think I prefer my filp front Caberg.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:40:22 AM »
Of course is there a difference if you'll go on a long ride/tour (ATGATT), just a hop around town (there riding Jeans with Kevlar inlays), or attend a one day's rideout.

When I encounter a group of vintage riders on their old Puchs, Beemers, BSAs, etc... over here, their mostly wrapped in those long leather coats, vintage breeches, Gasolina boots, classic race style helmet (leather around neck and ears), aviator goggles, etc... totally classy appearance IMHO  8)

Classic leather gear has its well known pros and cons...

Low price stitches have grown a strong foothold in the market now, but I observe many folks really suffering in it, especially in the summertime, when the temps bounce <40°C... or when getting cough in a heavy downpour, the seals don't work as advised, lack of thermal protection, etc...
I guess one has to try out what suits his needs.

If you're really bold you could of course go with the style mentioned by Steve  ;D

STOC #637

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »
Steve, don't forget your 'Centurian helmet' I had an orange one in 74!

Aldi biker cloths, I bought the base layers (black/red stitch) the top is excellent for the money, the bottoms are an odd fit, but | have long legs

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 06:04:31 PM »
Just roaming though their latest flier I think that also the spring sale at Louis might be worth a look for low priced gear.
The merits would be larger selection & stock and the possibility to actually try the stuff on there.
STOC #637

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal