Author Topic: restorer scarborough area  (Read 1459 times)

Offline piggy40

• View Profile
restorer scarborough area
« on: March 24, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »
unfortunatly due to personal circumstances i'm unable to take on the restoration of my cb750 and am looking for a restorer in the scarborough area to take it on, is there anyone you could reccomend?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: restorer scarborough area
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »
This might seem unhelpful, but probably cheaper to buy a restored bike, depends on if you have a sentimental attatchment to the bike.....
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline piggy40

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:44:45 PM »
yes it does have sentimental value and ive found someone to help me with the restoration so i'm just going to make the time to get it doneand ive set a target of july to get it done.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:52:48 PM »
Good luck you are not the only one who does these things up for sentimental reasons. They aren't so very hard to do up, though depending on how far you take a restoration they can proove a bit expensive, or really cheap...
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline fisjon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
Yep! it can cost a fortune if you're not careful.
I was wondering about WH Smith when I picked up a copy of Motorcycle Mechanics with a 1972 CB750K1 on the front page.
I had one back then brand new, I read the mag, emailed the editor asking for some help and he replied straight away. The editor at the time was the late Rod Gibson, his advice was to buy the best bike you can get as a starting point in order to have most of the parts readily available. Sound advice but my budget wouldn't allow me to do that so I down graded to a CB650Z that cost me 260 quid. Pics below.
The problem was that the bike was such a dog that I had to remove every nut and bolt and work from the ground up. The whole exercise cost me over £4,000 and I had to sell it on to recover my expences.

The danger is that you get so far in that you can't back out............

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal