Author Topic: indicator buzzer  (Read 2375 times)

Offline mancman

• View Profile
indicator buzzer
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »
i have a 1974 cb 750 k4 and this model comes with a indicator buzzer . for some reason it is not connected up.it only has 2 wires coming from it so how should these be connected so that it will work when either side indicator is switched ? cheers garry

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: indicator buzzer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:37:32 PM »
My F1 came with one when I bought it new, it lasted a day before I disconnected and removed it, it made a sound a bit like a rather ill duck.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:38:48 PM »
I disconnected mine (I have a K4) odd looks at traffic lights!
The colour code for the buzzer are Brown/blue stripe & Black which connect inside the head lamp recess, if the connectors are not available its a bit tricky!
The K3 & K4 wiring (indicator circuits) would have been modified to pass the MOT in the UK. The front indicators had  dual elements (position lighting & indication)....and slightly different contact switching arrangements within the indicator switch...just let us know if the connectors are available 1st

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »
Agree with big Al but memory not what it was my k2 did not have it and the UK jumped to the k6 which did have it.I have this in my head now it has been mentioned I may recall a Honda bulletin to disconnect it because when new it sounded like a pelican beacon at a pedestrian crossing bleeping the same way and a blind person got confused with the sound it made.I am sure other X Honda mechanics may remember this.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:48:30 AM »
The Ministry of Transport (those in power at the time) asked Honda dealers to disconnect them as they were confusing blind people at pelicon crossings

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »
It was a vain attempt to remind us to switch off indicators, back in the day on my original F1 I hated it so much but soon found if you moved the indicator switch back a bit after initial selection there was a point where it shut off but the indicators still worked if I recall, so merrily drove for miles without cancelling indicators no doubt ::) the buzzer from my recent rebuild is still under the bench and will no doubt stay there!

Offline mancman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »
thanks guys . i think i will leave it disconected then . one other thing though, even though i have tried changing the flasher unit from a previous bike, the nearside indicators flash at a slower rate than the off side ! any ideas ?   cheers garry.

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:08:36 AM »
Seems obvious but are the bulbs the same wattage?

Or check for dirty connections as I believe the flash rate varies with the current passed.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline mancman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 11:31:44 AM »
thanks tom, yes i fitted new bulbs all round, so i will give everything another connection check and clean and perhaps try running a new earth from both of the nearside indicators just incase that is disrupting current flow.  cheers garry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal