Author Topic: CB400F Engine Prof Restoration....Stotfold Engineering blog  (Read 5571 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
CB400F Engine Prof Restoration....Stotfold Engineering blog
« on: April 05, 2013, 08:09:35 AM »
Hi all,

Further to my search for a quality shop to do my 400F engine restoration I settled upon Stotfold Engineering of Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. No particular recommendations, simply their impressive web page & subsequent emails convinced me; and a couple of weeks ago I dumped the engine with Terry Ives, whose business it is.

My CB400F engine is a 77 model, and with no known background to me. I bought the bike back in Oct last year, and due Irish plates, and a wish not to push an engine which perhaps has not been loved in a while, I have only ever heard it idle. I think its done just shy of 50ks.

To date I don't know fully what's been done, but was inspired on meeting Terry who comes across as one of a dying breed of true craftsmen. His enthusiasm and honesty appear absolutely genuine, and I reckon its akin to me giving my business to a solid Capt Mainwaring versus Bob Diamond; if that helps those of my vintage!

Anyways, I mentioned to Terry a blog might be nice, and he's obliged with..

http://www.stotfoldengineers.co.uk/stotfold_engineering_blog/2013/03/27/honda-cb400-engine-rebuild-part-1/

Within his webside you can find also Part 2 of the rebuilt, with more to follow.

As I say, I've not got the engine back, and nor will it be started for a few months yet, but all-in-all a promising start. Please feel free to comment: I'm always keen to hear all views good or bad. Final cost not known yet..., but I will update as things progress.

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:22:51 AM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Lobo
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 03:28:23 PM »
Whilst still not collected my engine (I work abroad) I did manage a quick visit to Stotfold's to see the (nearly) finished product. Looks fantastic...

In all, Terry took about 2 weeks, and despite a (supplied by me) bin of various new bits returned most of them unopened, declaring the engine well within spec & so not needing many of the parts. The engine's history is completely unknown - and so we assume its been fairly recently looked at. Best of all no horror stories, although the rocker head has been heli-coiled suggesting some oaf has indeed 'been there' in its past.

Anyways, well impressed so far, obviously not run.... hopefully July time when the rebuild is scheduled.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:31:10 PM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: CB400F Engine Prof Restoration....Stotfold Engineering blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 02:41:49 AM »
Hi Oddjob, mistaken... and the problems of 90 mB pics / viewing fins end on and perhaps a dark 'shop methinks. In the forward on photo you can defo see paint in the area between cylinders 2/3, and also the 408cc stamp.

Have seen it in the flesh & all very nice / professionally finished.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:49:29 AM by Lobo »

Offline CXon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »
I'm planning to use Terry Ives myself, just wondered if you had anymore feedback. His no nonsense honesty and obvious professionalism seems to shine through.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »
Hi CXon,

I have to state up-front that I've not yet started the engine since rebuild - inexcusable except for the fact I work in Asia & get home only a couple of days PCM.  However, just approaching end of 3 weeks leave, a full rebuild.... and first start tomorrow / Saturday (?) as I'm waiting on a battery.

Terry is an incredibly friendly & knowledgeable bloke, and above all honest. I don't reckon the work was cheap (£1450) - but I can wear that if I am happy with the end result. What did impress me was a box of DSS New parts I handed over with the bike to speed up things, much of it was returned unopened as Terry said "there was absolutely no need to replace such & such". A lesser person may well have pocked those (some expensive) spares & assured me they'd been used in the rebuild....

There was a slight hiccup (easily corrected in the end) .... with Terry readily on the end if his phone to cheerfully help / resolve.

Suspect you already know your answer.... his workshop er... 'impressive' in a 1960s sort of way! Rather reassuring for me that one!
Good luck,
Simon.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:55:26 PM by Lobo »

Offline CXon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »
Appreciate the response Simon. Looks like my knackered CX500 will be sharing workshop space with you.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:07:47 PM »
She runs!
Connected the fuel line to a wee petrol tank & filled it. Feet got wet as 3 carbs overflowed the fuel straight out, but not concerned as had this on my '750 carbs when dissused too long. Gave each float  bowl a gentle thump & fuelled again - all ok.
After about 20 kicks the engine started, and with minimal throttle stop adjustment running smoothly, but sounding a bit rattly. Dynamically adjusted the timing, did the cam tensioner & balanced the carbs, now ticks over beautifully @ 1200rpm.
Throttle blips clean, no hesitation; so far very happy. Due tank (& side panels) still with sprayer unable to run it up the road, but first signs of carb (full) rebuild + engine rebuild looking good. All done now, awaiting tank & English reg ex EIRE plates. Fingers crossed....

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 10:13:51 PM »
Lobo

Just took mine out having received the motobatt I was waiting for. *Huge* grin factor these bikes give....

What tyres are you using there? They look like modern ones, which I would prefer.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »
Hiya Tom,

In the end went for Avon RoadRiders, 90/90-18 & 110/90-18; I'm on the origibal rims. Not ridden them yet, but can't imagine there'll be any issues bearing the type of riding I'll be doing.

Simon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal