Author Topic: More electrical questions??  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Jimbo550

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
More electrical questions??
« on: April 08, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »
Hello all and welcome to my new nightmare!!  I've had some intermittent  problems with the starter motor but its now totally dead. I've put a screwdriver across the starter solenoid and it spins great. I've put a couple of wires from the battery into the solenoid control wires and it spins great. The switch seems to be working ok but when I put a volt meter on the 2 wires leading to the solenoid I,m only getting between 6-8 volts  which isn't enough to operate the solenoid. I've checked the earths and all wires look good but don't know what to try next?  Any ideas anyone??

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: More electrical questions??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:25:24 PM »
Give me a call on 07795162623 after 8pm Sunday to Thursday and DO NOT withold your number(I don't answer those) and i will call you back to give you some ideas

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: More electrical questions??
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:54:44 PM »
Try metering the switch wires at the plug after they come out of the handlebar switches (inside the headlight?) to see if the low volts are present there......put the meter on the solenoid wires as you have done and then move the loom around at the headstock, both by hand and also turning the bars left to right to see if you have any continuity problems.

Meter the voltage at the handlebar switch contacts to see if you even have the correct voltage arriving there.

In short you are trying to split the system down to see at which point you are getting a voltage drop to give you a better location of which part to look at.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal