Author Topic: Oil leak advice??  (Read 5718 times)

Offline Jimbo550

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Oil leak advice??
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
Hello all.  I'm after some advice regarding an oil leak from the head gasket. I've recently rebuilt the engine and been on the road for 200 miles but seem to have got an oil leak from the head gasket. I don't think it's the pucks as the oil only appears on the fin below the head gasket but I will check the pucks by lifting the rocker cover.  I'm thinking three options.
1. A slight tweak of the head bolts, risky I know but an easy option.
2. Lift the head and replace head gasket and o rings however it s a new one only 200 miles ago.
3. Lift head, skim head taking minimum off and replace with new gasket and o rings.

Your thoughts would be great fully received. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leak advice??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »
Option 1 would be my starting point, just check with a torque wrench to the upper figure recommended by Honda, but DO clean the already leaked oil after re torquing, as just wiping it will often seem like more is coming out as the engine warms up. Dont  be tempted to tighten above the recommended torque, it can do more harm than good :'(
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Jimbo550

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »
I remember taking my time when torquing the head bolts down after the engine rebuild but maybe some heat and running in has ensettled things which require a re torque. It an easy enough job but might have to wait till Monday as I wanted to take the bike to BMAD this weekend.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »
If you ride the bike, the problem will only get worse, and you may end up blowing the head gasket if it isn't already blown, which is top end off, do you want to risk it? :(
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:56:05 PM »
My 500/4 had a slight leak when I bought it - just a weep that stained the barrels a bit. I ran it like that for the next 100,000 odd miles with no ill effects. I'd torqe the head bolts as they do settle sometimes just to be sure.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 06:32:31 PM »
Sorry have to disagree with oddjob as oiled threads need a totaly different torque. BUT you must make sure that the threads on nut and stud are perfectly clean so the nuts run freely and the thick washers are under them.

Honda never recommended a retorque in any manual and normaly a leak that quick would be a bad or displaced "O" ring

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
The only one i remember moly being quoted for was the GL100 main bearing bolts but i do agree on the free running nuts. Now I am in the heavy world things like wheel nuts on HGV are specified dry but they do go up to a heavy torque

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 02:31:39 PM »
Hello all.  I'm after some advice regarding an oil leak from the head gasket. I've recently rebuilt the engine and been on the road for 200 miles but seem to have got an oil leak from the head gasket. I don't think it's the pucks as the oil only appears on the fin below the head gasket but I will check the pucks by lifting the rocker cover.  I'm thinking three options.
1. A slight tweak of the head bolts, risky I know but an easy option.
2. Lift the head and replace head gasket and o rings however it s a new one only 200 miles ago.
3. Lift head, skim head taking minimum off and replace with new gasket and o rings.

Your thoughts would be great fully received. Thanks in advance.

Are they ORIGINAL GASKETS? I think is a MUST use ORIGINAL GASKETS, O,RINGS, or VERY GOOD QUALITY BRAND......
Jim

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »
Never ever had a problem with Vesrah in the 70's/80's and you are right about the GL headbolts but i don't remember that being in the original book when i had to rebuild one in 76 for a n idioy customer

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »
I also use Vesrah and I have not oil leaks problem at the moment on my CB550 K3 rebuild engine. I skim head engine for peace of mind and use Edelbrock Gasgacinch for the Engine Head Gasket. re-torque the Engine Head bolts does not work, I think that when there is oil leaks, the only solution is take off the engine head, skim head, change the o,rings(both) and use new gasket head engine(good quality or Original).
Now  I am working on my 400 Four that has oil leaks also, 400 km after rebuild engine and the oil leaks show on the corner of the engine head, I used cheaper gaskets and o´rings and that is the problem, I check that the measure of the o´rings are different that the originals..... Again I will  skim head, Gasgacinch on the Engine Head Gasket, NEW ORGINALS O´rings and Gaskets and pray.................
Sorry for my English....

Offline Jimbo550

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
Thanks for all the great advice. Little bit of an update for you. Yesterday I took the cam cover off removed the pucks which looked to be sealed very well and re torqued the head bolts. I first set the torque settings to the lower value quoted in the book and went through every nut which took about 1/8 of a turn before it clicked. This is telling  me its taken a little settling In and hopefully it should hold a good seal now. Gonna road test this afternoon and see how it goes.

Offline Jimbo550

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
The dam thing still leaks.  Just been out for a quick 20 mile blast and come back to find small amounts of oil on the fins. Guess its gonna be head off to check the o rings and a new head gasket.

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 07:43:21 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal