Author Topic: Running rich  (Read 6872 times)

adrian58

Running rich
« on: May 05, 2013, 07:42:24 PM »
Nice day and took my K2 out for a 60 mile round trip, the first 'outing' since I bought her. All seemed pretty good other than it seems to be running too rich. Smoking a bit,(viewed by my mate behind me) white not blue. I got home  switched off straight away and let it cool. I whipped out No1 and No4 plugs and sure enough they were a bit wet with petrol and electrodes sooty. I'm sure the chokes are ok and the air filter is new. I suppose the answer is to change all the jets just wondered if there was anything I could try first.(Not much change from £100 for the D/S overhaul kit). Was thinking about lowering the throttle needle a notch or would a hotter plug help ? Any thoughts ?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Running rich
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:26:09 PM »
"wet with petrol" sounds like more than a bit rich, worth checking needle position and float heights first to see what you have before commiting any cash.

Also see what number mains they have fitted as well.

adrian58

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:08:16 PM »
Was wondering about the float heights. I know if I leave the petrol tap on, one of the carbs will drip a bit from the overflow tube after a while. Still not dead sure how to set them. Would this cause a rich mixture ? Any tips would be welcome.

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:54:25 AM »
I would address float height first and check your float needle valves as it could easily be the carbs flooding. Any good manual will show you setting up the float level ( a picture is worth a thousand words! ) If you leave the petrol on with bike on the sidestand you can get fuel drip when you straighten bike up but generally they shouldn't leak. Although my F1 can occasionally, could be when its hot etc.

As for jets, remember that the main jet doesn't really have any affect until 3/4 throttle! before that its mainly idle jet and slide cutaway up to about 1/4 throttle then the rest is needle jet, so think how you ride before shelling out on jets etc

adrian58

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:34:22 PM »
Is the throttle needle adjustable and if so what notch is the standard setting. I remember the previous owner told me he thought it was running a bit rich and that he had set the float heights with a vernier caliper. He did give the impression at least that he  knew what he was doing. Took it out again today and it does seem to be a bit lumpy at about 1/4 throttle. Tickover fine and if you wind it up it's ok. Could be a plug a bit soot-ed up.Thinking of trying a slightly hotter plug any suggestions what number ?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »
The plugs won't change the mixture even if you change the heat range.

Info for plugs if using NGK is usually 8 as standard....if you go for example to 9, then this switch is for the engine running hotter as the plug tranfers more heat away from the tip so that it won't start to overheat the electrode. This may be applicable if you were to use the bike for extended high speed work.
If you were to go for example to a 7, then this would be more applicable if you were running the bike in lower ambient temperatures so the electrode would stay hotter and give less risk of fouling ang giving poor ignition....it's unlikely for normal road use in this country to need anything other than 8 grade NGK.

I'd take a guess, as you say there is some leaking, that you first need to look at the fuel valves controlled by the floats.....this has a big influence over the observations you've made so it would be wise to verify that they are ok before going any further.

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 07:19:13 AM »
+1 on what K2 said. If a carb is flooding it will affect all settings so you need to address that first.

Yes, the needle position is adjustable by setting which groove the holding clip is in, higher groove = weaker mixture and vice versa

adrian58

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 02:19:40 PM »
Just spent 2 hrs getting nowhere in the garage. Wanted to drop the throttle needle a notch but there was no way the two little screws inside the the throttle slide were going to budge to get to the needle. Any ideas how to shift them. There appears no signs of the carbs flooding which kind of steers me away from the float needles being the problem. I'm thinking that it may be a better option to buy the carb kit and fit it all rather than just the float needles and seats. Still will need to get at those throttle needles though.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 07:34:03 PM »
Hi Adrian,
When back in the old days I was a mechanic owners used to say can we watch you fix our bikes while they wait.As this was not allowed because when you see some gorilla banging the crap out of your desire it did not go down well.To get those 2 stupid little screws out first soak them with wd40 then protecting your slides from getting damaged hit the top of the screws with a blunt T bar if you like swiftly and they will come undone bit like a impact driver.I have done it all my life that way and have got out all the bast++d cross head screws I have encountered.Like I said protect your slide before you do this.I would really double check your float heights first and clear every orifice you can find.
Hope you have success.
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

adrian58

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
Thanks Bitsa, going to try that thing with the clear plastic tube on the drain plugs to see if I can see if  the level is too high. I recon (if my research is right) level should be about 2mm to 4mm below float bowl joint. Don't mind spending the money on parts but being a mean bugger don't want to waste money either.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 08:20:18 PM »
Adrian.
I am all for new ways for dealing with various measurements but easy for me I have a Honda device but I do remember someone made a float height tool out of a floppydisc and if I recall I thought that was bloody good idea if you have some old discs.Like me I do not like spending money for no results so you have my vote.Needle heights in my opion do not change over night you get my drift?
Best of luck
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 07:15:17 AM »
Annuver little tip with any stuck screws / bolts, use heat. I use a blowlamp, have seen people use welding torch but I don't recommend that as its too easy to damage the part(s) if you don't know what you are doing.

+1 with Bitsa on using a T- handle driver ( or similar )

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 11:13:04 AM »
Float height tool

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
Seamus that the one I remember seeing
Cheers
Bitsa

adrian58

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
BRILLIANT  ! ! thanks :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal