Author Topic: Another London newbie  (Read 1161 times)

Offline SpindleHausen

• View Profile
Another London newbie
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
Hi all,

Just joined the UK forum, so I'll re-use the posting I'd put up on the US site to say hello!

I've just started with a  CB550 restore project, I've been looking to do one of these for years and finally taken the plunge.
Haven't rebuilt a bike for years so might be a challenge...

About me: mid 40s, I've ridden bikes since 17, owned a variety of bikes mostly Honda - but I currently have a Triumph Tiger 800 as my main commute bike. I live in Enfield, work down in town, my day job involves computers. I do  occasional tutoring for RoSPA, but since last year got taken up with volunteering at London 2012 and work crisis after crisis, I've kind of let that slip. Will pick up at some point this summer.

I got lucky enough just recently to get a garage so I've been able to set myself up with a reasonable workshop, and my first project bike. A 1977 abandoned CB550 project, the last but one owner was in the process of turning it into a cafe racer, but momentum, he sold it onto a chap who's had it standing for a couple of years. All there, a lot of superficial rust, engine turns over ok, but the top end has been messed around with. Am in the process of getting the bike top end stripped off, may need to go the whole 9 yards on a strip/refurbish depending on what I find.

Currently stuck on getting the cylinder head off, the front 6mm flange bolt is stripped off (the rest are fine) and trying to figure out how to proceed, I'll post a question in the appropriate place on here to see if there's anyone solved a similar problem

all the best,

-pete

ka-ja

Re: Another London newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:59:54 PM »
Hi,
     Welcome to the group and welcome to the joys and tears of "old" sohc's---Ken

Offline SpindleHausen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
Cheers Ken

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:57:22 PM »
Hi pete welcome aboard,
UK pete