Author Topic: Headlamp  (Read 3204 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Headlamp
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:27:36 AM »
Hello everyone.  My headlamp reflector has suddenly corroded really badly and I need a replacement.  Does anyone know where I can find the cheapest alternative.  I found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321010689431?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

but I don't know if they are any good.   Second hand parts seem to be foolishly expensive at the moment, I thought I would be able to pick one up for a fiver but discovered I was living in the past, as always!

Any views would be appreciated.

Best,

Steve

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Headlamp
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:24:16 PM »
Any 7 inch car unit will fit in your existing rim, even the sealed beam type fitted to 1960s/70s minis, marinas etc. Local car breakers would be your best bet, a landrover also uses the same light unit, either sealed beam or seperate halogen bulbs (Proper Landrovers, not poncy pretend ones like a discovery!)
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 11:46:35 PM »
Hello Steve, haven't seen you on here for a while.

I've no experience of that particular supply but it looks quite honest along with appearing to know what he's talking about.

I've alot more general experience of swapping light units around though and like Hairygit says it is a common size and fitting........so you should be fine to buy from the most convenient for you.....7inch standard also to be found in suppliers for old mini's, fords etc......and Honda CB750/900 era with round lights of early 80's period.......actually the Honda kit from those that was marked on the lens front "STANLEY H4" was a particulary good light unit I felt, and I used them in cars as they had such a good beam patern/reach.

Nigel.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:16:05 AM »
Hi, thanks for that, I haven't been on here much, I just released two albums (one film/tv library album and one for my band) and it seems to have taken up all my time. 

Back in the real world now and I really want to get my bike back on the road.  I actually do have a Land Rover Series 11a and looked into using the same lamp but my chap who does them charges £25 for each unit which is a bit steep I think.  I will try your suggestion Hairygit and try the breakers, I'm really skint at the moment so even the odd quid here or there will make a difference. 

The one on my bike says 'Stanley H4' and it was a really good lamp so I'm quite cross it has gone rusty.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »
Sounds like your chap who does the light units is a robbing B'stard! Paddock motors (Landrover supplies) do a conversion kit for a landrover series 1,2,2a and 3, which consists of 2 light units and 2 halogen bulbs for £18.85 + vat! ;)
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
Wow, that is very reasonable.  I'm going to have a word with my Land Rover shop, he's normally very good.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »
Just watched your latest video on YouTube Steve.

Very cool.

;D
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »
Ah thanks Steve, I had forgotten you knew about that band.  Did you know Cerys Matthews has been playing us on BBC6 Music, we are very excited.

Also, I managed to get a record contract with Sonoton for my library music.

How is your son getting on?  PM me if you like and I can give you more details.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
Funny you should ask...

He joined the Central Band of the RAF (Tuba) and is playing in the Dambusters concert tonight at Biggin Hill. It's on Radio 2 "Friday Night is Music Night"

He also did Maggie's funeral...

I have 6Music on all day as I love the eclectic mix of music that you get. Cerys is on Sunday mornings though so I'm afraid I don't catch that very often  :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:50:12 PM by SteveD CB500F »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »
Excellent, I am glad to hear he is doing well.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 04:56:38 PM »
I'll let you know if she plays, you can 'listen again'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rhf8z

It is on at the same time as the Archers omnibus so my wife hardly ever lets me listen live.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:01:22 PM by florence »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 05:04:11 PM »
I challenge you to get you bike in one of those publicity shots!

Or better still, in one of the videos...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »
That is a very good idea, I'd never thought of that before,  I will.

A couple of years ago my friend used my bike in a fashion shoot for London Fashion week.  That was fun.

The band are down next week, I'll see what we can do.  I could post them on here and give you all a laugh!

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »
Well, I managed to get a headlamp for a fiver after all.  A friend had an old sealed beam unit in very good order in the back of his workshop.

I was shocked though how complicated a job it turned out to be.  I was expecting a chrome ring with a few spring clips to pull out but was amazed to discover that the lamp is adjustable!  Sadly the holding ring was very badly corroded and the tiny screws had to be broken before I could extract them.  Oh well, a quick replacement with self tapping screws meant the whole thing went back together and luckily the adjusting screw still worked.  Should be good enough for the MOT man so I may be back on the road in time for the first frosts......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal