Author Topic: 'Nother noob  (Read 1408 times)

Offline flamesnm

• View Profile
'Nother noob
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:28:56 AM »
Hi all

Picked up two CB550s in boxes last week. I'm new to all this malarkey, but am in the middle of my first build ( a Yam XS650 ). Been keeping an eye out for a CB550 for the next project, and snapped up two from fleabay. Just going through the boxes to see what I've got. Frames, yokes, hubs all good. Forks missing. Engine 1 missing cyclinder head cover at least. Engine two missing barrels and cylinder head cover. I need to start scouring for those.

Expect lots of dumb questions !

Based in Surrey

Niall

Offline flamesnm

• View Profile
Re: 'Nother noob
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:36:15 AM »
Oh, first question. Probably in the wrong place.

I've hoovered up all the free manual scans on t'internet, but is it worth laying out for Hondaman's CB750 book as a 550 owner ? It's nice having the free ones, but sometimes it's good to put oily finger marks on a piece of paper.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:59:47 AM »
welcome Niall. You will have fun with your 550s, lots of help on this forum and on the US site where hondaman often posts. There are lots of differences between the 750s and 550s, so I don't think it would help much buying the hondaman 750 book. I use both genuine and Honda manuals, also a parts book is very handy.Did you buy your 550s from the guy in Eastbourne?
regards, Mick
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline flamesnm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »
Hi Mick

I did indeed. Is he well known/notorious ? It was a bit of a punt to be honest. The engines not being complete was a bit of a surprise, and I should have asked more questions. That said, there's lots there that I didn't expect and the bits that have been powdercoated ( frame, yokes, swingarms ) are very good. Shame I'll have to grind back all the tabs now :o)

Niall

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »
Hi Niall, no nothing bad, I have had stuff from him before and he seems ok, I was considering bidding myself, but was more worried about what was missing! I have a few bits for 550s if you get stuck.
regards Mick
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal