Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2470 times)

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Advice please
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:25:41 PM »
Out on 750 today f1 engine, Just not quite happy with running, She is running on 120 mains with ram pipes can't remember what the slows are. Thinking of taking it back to stock 105 mains 40 slows replacing standard air box.
Have seen David Silvers sell a carb repair kit pattern parts was just wondering what the views are on these kits before I splash out.
Thanks in advance.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »
Hi Tom you should notice an improvement going back to stock set up with the airbox and jets,

soz can 't help with carb kits don't have any experience with them  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
Agree with Mick.My opinion I have had nothing but poor results with most replica parts stick (if possible) with genuine Honda.With my 750 the keyster needles are not the same tend to stick in the main jets.Cost is more but you know they will work and fit without problems.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »
Thanks Mick/Bitsa, Good to hear from you Mick hope alls well.
Need to make the right decisions lads so here it is.
Plugs out 124 sooty 3 good ?
Carbs off mains are 120 slows are 40 would I be advised to replace main jets and needles?When I removed carbs left them full then checked amount of petrol in each bowl all virtually same but will check float levels again.
Want to get this right so all help is appreciated Please remember even though been around bikes over 40 years I am a builder so don,t tend to think right at times with mechanics.
Last thing best place to buy and quickest. Thanks

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 08:11:25 PM »
You could try dropping the needles 2 slots and run it as-is to see what it's like just leaned out a bit (that's moving the circlips UP two slots). as it seems you're not too far away from reasonable mixture.

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 11:13:48 PM »
Story so far, fuel pipes off y piece One year old from local bike shop perished ? One carb stripped can,t believe how much s**t in there,
needle set at 4th notch from top, fuel t piece between carbs has ptfe tape over o rings but must admit had no leaks, will clean everything
up reassemble with needle set in middle see what happens before I spend any money,
Was going to put back together and use standard air box, But as K2-K6 said wondering because mains are 120 should I go a notch above middle to compensate, Not sure in my head if this is relevant struggling to get my head around it so more opinions the better.
Thanks,
PS side cars good at island :)

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:08:23 AM »
Personally I would return everything to stock including air filter but assuming you want to continue with the ram pipes your plan to clean and set needles back to centre groove seems the best way forward. Remember that the main jets have little affect until around 3/4 throttle so I would start from centre groove and see how you go.

Must get to the island one year, never been so I'll add it to my bucket list

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 11:51:32 AM »
The method for changeing the jets to accomodate the intake spec would be to start with a main jet, and 120's don't seem too drastic, and then to tweak with the needle level.......so if you work through it like that you'll soon find if it's good enough without spending cash initially.

Be interesting to see if the if the idle jets have been changed as well.

Adjusting the needles will only cost a bit of time for you also as it's quite easy with no air-box to remove if you want the carbs off.

I always go with stabilising what you have so that it is at least working properly and then you can make reasoned adjustments to get the mixture more accurate.

I do like riding them with an airbox I must admit, probably because many bikes I've ridden with modded intake (not owned by me) have never really been adjusted well enough to work as good as a standard setup.

The PTFE does seem a bit bodgy but it is resistant to most chemicals, which is probably why it worked.....better to use the proper o-rings though just for the safety of having no leaks.

Basically it doesn't seem unworkable, so worth a bit of time to see how you can get it running and then decide if you want to spend money to change it.

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 11:27:52 PM »
Thanks all, progress so far have stripped carbs given them a thorough clean needles were set on 1st notch up so have reset them to middle  just waiting for some o rings to come was advised viton Now if you have read my other post i'm nervous and am not so sure would like advice on this please.
Cheers from a very nervous biker......

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 12:23:02 AM »
Not sure what tools / workshop environment you have but I'd highly recommend having access to compressed air and an ultrasonic cleaner (even the cheap £30 jewellery units will suffice).

Make sure all of the jets are clean and blown through. Pay particular attention to the pilot jets - hold them up to the light when you think they're clean - you should be able to see light through the tiny orifice. Check that the emulsion tubes are clean and clear.

Blow through the main jets. Blow through all fuel / air paths in the carb bodies. Check the pilot screws are clean and springs are good.

Make sure the Float bowl drain screws drilling a are clear and blow through the overflow pipe.

Take your time, be methodical and you'll be fine...

Just my 2 penneth....

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »
Thanks, yes I have a permanent compressor all jets/orifices blown through with carb cleaner all looks good hope to refit weekend or sooner and see how it goes Will do a bit of trial and error before spending will update when tested. Just realised mot test due Friday perfect timing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal