Author Topic: Postage cost  (Read 2454 times)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Postage cost
« on: June 05, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »
Most of us sell bits on Ebay and suchlike, and as metal parts are heavy postage can be expensive. I sold a rear brake plate for a 550k3 and when I took it to the post office they were going to charge me £12 odd to send a £5 item so I would be loosing money. so I did some research and most couriers charge similar amounts, although there are some who charge less but my problem is I am not at home to wait for pickup. Then I discovered a company called Collect plus who use a network of local shops and businesses as drop off points, my nearest is a petrol station at the end of my road! You pay on line and print a label (you can link to your ebay account to get details) then take it to the drop off point, they scan it and give you a receipt, job done, £6.19 up to 5 kilo 3-5 days delivery or slightly more for 2 day. also includes tracking and insurance up to £50. I have sent parcel so hope it all works, if so will send all my heavier parts via this method
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Postage cost
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
My Hermes operate a similar system with a lot of convenience stores taking parcels in from 8am to 8pm, again, good prices, and up to 15kg :D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 04:12:36 PM »
Trouble with Hermes is the delivery end is total Cr*p, at least it is in my area

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 05:27:48 PM »
Bryan, maybe you just live in a poorly covered area, I sent 2 parcels out monday  from Devon, both arrived today, one in stockport and one in Dursley (your neck of the woods?) and they advertise as 3-5 days ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34:55 PM »
I use parcel2go and interparcel both have been cheaper than the post office and fast delivery  8),

I sent a 4 into 1 exhaust last week picked up at about 1pmin Lancaster (north west) by city link and delivered next morning before 10am in Devon  ;)

well worth comparing prices, cheers Mick.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 06:42:33 AM »
Not the area mate, its the courier in this area Don't seem to care at all and NEVER leaves a contact number

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:44:43 AM »
Bryan is right.

Hermes often work using  self employed individuals and their own vehicles for initial collection and delivery. They then service the larger national  distribution hub / big branded trucks etc. For example the guy who does Hermes in our area works using the roughest little Peugeot 106 you have ever seen. He is reliable however.

I think with a lot of carriers they load drivers up with too many parcels to handle. Hence inefficiency / unreliable service.

As had been said a company like interparcel are good. They are basically a company offering the services of all the big carriers in one place. You can then select the most economical service that fits your needs

TIm
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 08:53:35 PM »
I just had notification the parcel has been delivered, I call that good service, will use them again
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline pptom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 07:18:25 AM »
Also use Collect+ more often than not - think they use the 'home delivery network' as couriers - they always say 3-5 days but the last parcel i sent was there in 2.
Only small issue is that, despite advertising up to a certain size parcel, a couple of shops round here will not take one that big.
Perfect for me though - cheaper than royal mail, tracked, insured, can buy online 24hrs a day via paypal and because i spend all day driving around town, I'm always passing a shop.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal