Author Topic: First run out  (Read 1343 times)

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
First run out
« on: June 23, 2013, 04:33:40 PM »
With the MOT passed, I determined to ride the 400/4 this year and not just put it away and fiddle with it, I’m sure there’s a moral in there somewhere.
I took to the lanes of Kent this afternoon, stopping at Bearsted to watch some cricket on the green- the bike got a few looks from the watchers- and its distinctive noise as I pulled away must have stirred some memories.
In clad with my ‘fake Belstaff jacket’ but could de with some better quality jeans- that’s what we all used to wear, is it not? – I couldn’t afford the Bestaff in the 70’s, but I’m not moaning- I always seemed to find the money for a pint in them bygone days.
I rode back into Maidstone- bearing in mind this was the bikes first legal trip this year- now it seems to be running properly and I don’t have the run the gauntlet of the Law, trying to set the carbs and try it out. It pulls very well, just as well as it did- slightly hesitant if I don’t change down gear to pull away- but I’m happy and I’m sure that how I remember it running 2 years ago when I first restored it. I definitely runs better with a full tank of fuel- which means maybe the tank filter of cock is still restricted- I’ve got a another tank to fit when I get around to it- I’ve actually spent a few bob on it this year.
The DS replica pipes look good- the chrome is not in back nick for an original set of mudguards and the seat looks ok- even if its heart is fibreglass.
I saw a CX500 and an old R100 at the side of the road: I just had to double-back for a chat- and we did, sharing a fag and anecdotes about Hondas- until some village-idiot came along to tell us how much we would be fined for- a) parking on a bus stop- (have you ever tried to get a bus in Maidstone on a Sunday?) b. dissuading our fags- again, sign of the times- I’m not putting it in my pocket! And c. he notice my tax disc was 2-years old- I offered the truth that I taxed it online last Thursday, and was genuinely waiting for it to come through…but no ‘That’s a hefty fine, that is..’
Which is a shame, as the chaps I met were looking for a route to Canterbury which I naturally obliged- but I’m sure we would have been there longer discussing bikes we had owned, had we not been disturbed- Oh well, I takes all sorts.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: First run out
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »
Pat,
Nice one.One of the reasons I moved to France was I got sick of the never do nothing wrong ar     es.They get on my tits and remember only the good die young.A couple of bikes in a bus stop on a sunday what bloody harm that will do.I know the place very well and it was the same in the 70s.Poxy snobs and then I was 20 stone long haired greaser and  more than once told them to walk with a jerk.Enjoy your self do it again and frack them off again.All your hard work is not in vain go for it.
All the best
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »
Bitsa- thanks for your kind words!
France- full of French, isn't it?  My brother has just sold one of his houses in LIVEROT if Ive got the spelling right- Its in Normandie. Lovely place, full of cows and calvados apples- shame I had to give up drinking 20 years ago- as Ive never tried the stuff, but driven others home under its effects!
I mention my brother, as I said- its takes all sorts- hes just brought his 6th Motobecane Mobylette! All within 2 months. Im just waiting for the 2 seized engines of the brace to arrive around here.

PatM

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:46:35 AM »
Pat
Funny that you mention mopeds.I have met 2 or 3 Brits that have a shed load of peds.They buy em do them up and sell them on.They seem to be real popular here with the young french.Male and female.Not my scene at all.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal