Author Topic: Forks advice  (Read 5882 times)

Offline pptom

• View Profile
Re: Forks advice
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 06:53:55 PM »
The plot thickens!
New OEM seals arrived today from Silvers, i was told the Hagon order would too, but no joy - anyway, stripped the forks and changed the seals in readiness for the springs - total oil quantity was around 300ml from both legs and it was 'fairly' clean ATF that came out. The springs however are already progressive - I have no idea if they are the right springs though until I can compare them to the new ones that I'll be fitting, total free length of the old ones 465mm - obviously longer than stock. They might be going on e-bay soon - or, if they look and measure the same as the Hagons I'll offer them up on here.
Checked the head race too and its tapered, now readjusted.
Can't wait to get out on it now! hopefully be ready for a spin tomorrow evening.

Offline busa

• busa
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 10:01:20 PM »
did you re pack the bearing with grease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   marine grease is good

Offline pptom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 05:40:03 PM »
Little bit of an update:
New suspension went in front and rear (end of july) - improvement, but still didn't feel right, especially the front end which was following every little blemish in the road, it felt dangerous - from that point I knew I had to change the tyres.
I installed the Bronze swingarm bushes last week (dead easy really) and a new set of tyres (Avon Roadriders) Just been out for a run and I can say the bikes handling is back to how I expect a bike to handle. The swingarm bushes may have helped a little, but I would say 95% of the improvement is with the tyres. I've opted for a 3.25 front and 4.0 rear. Only done about 20 miles and still running the shine off of them, but I'm happy.
The moral of the story: don't buy Continental supertwin tyres
Just got to sort the dodgy carbs now...
Nearly there, but I can't see me doing much more riding until well into next year - I've declared winter!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 06:24:38 PM »
Little bit of an update:
New suspension went in front and rear (end of july) - improvement, but still didn't feel right, especially the front end which was following every little blemish in the road, it felt dangerous - from that point I knew I had to change the tyres.
I installed the Bronze swingarm bushes last week (dead easy really) and a new set of tyres (Avon Roadriders) Just been out for a run and I can say the bikes handling is back to how I expect a bike to handle. The swingarm bushes may have helped a little, but I would say 95% of the improvement is with the tyres. I've opted for a 3.25 front and 4.0 rear. Only done about 20 miles and still running the shine off of them, but I'm happy.
Just got to sort the dodgy carbs now...
Nearly there, but I can't see me doing much more riding until well into next year - I've declared winter!

interesting about the tyres,I just took off a worn set of Avons,the 90/90 x 19 f.and 100/90 x 18 rear,I thought they were great,in all weathers,but,

changed them for 3.25 x 19 f,and 4.00 x 18 r,Dunlop arrowmax,both sets running 29psi F,and 36 psi R ,

so far after about 200 mls these seem even better !!

I also modded the forks to fit second disc,used ATF ,and still the original springs,nice soft and progressive,

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Ian DB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »
I've been having a think about changing the tyres on mine recently, they both look ok and have decent tread depth but I'm unsure as to how good they are, only having had the bike for a month or so.
The front is a Kenda Challenger 100/90-19 and the rear is a Cheng Shin C289 MN90-18 (4.00-18) The rear looks in proportion but to be honest the front does look a bit wide for the rim

The workshop manual states the original spec to be Front 3.15-19 or 3.25-19 and Rear 3.50-18

I'm getting a bit of vibration through the handle bars even though I've rebuilt the forks and stripped down the stearing head and cleaned up the bearings etc. As the ball race bearings looked in good condition i have retained them for the time being, perhaps changing to taper would have been a better option. But will see how we go. Perhaps the tyres could be the cause?

The Avon and Dunlop options look and sound great but does the modern style not detract from the classic lines on the bike?

Ian

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »

Offline Ian DB

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 08:54:35 PM »
I fully understand the reasoning behind going for the modern option but think going for a classic tyre would the way to go, after all they are still considered decent tyres especially the TT100's which proved themselves at the TT. Thanks for the links BTW, i looked at these earlier and thought they might be worth considering.
Anybody know what was fitted originally? Although I'm keen to keep things traditional, I'm not averse to change if its for the better. 

Ian

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »
from memory,they had japanese ribbed fronts,and semi block rears

nearest are the Avon Speeedmaster/SM pairing would be the normal they would have been swopped for,

or the TT100 's

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 01:45:07 PM »
You do realise with modern pattern tyres you can only tell they aren't classic is when the wheels aren't rotating. :)
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »
Lester
Shit should have gone to specksavers also derr
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline s7paul

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 01:07:04 PM »
Avon SM's were OK for commuter bikes but I'd never put them on a bigger bike.  The profile of the rear looks too square to me (so when you lean over you're riding on the corner).  I always used Roadrunners on my first 500 back in the late 70s.  My current 500 wears Bridgestone BT-45's, and I've been very happy with them.

ka-ja

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 03:34:10 PM »
Hi,
     Avon SM's and the ribbed speedmaster front tyres were as good as it got if you go far enough back as the choice of tyres were very limited, they worked well in the 60's when quite a few bikes were capable of 100mph, although I must admit that my 400/4 weighs a good amount more than an average 1960's 650cc, maybe that doesn't help with tyres.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 12:05:35 AM »
I ran my 550 and bmw r80rt tourer on avon ribbed front and sm mk2 rear after getting a few 'nos' tyres cheap via a mate about 5 years ago. Handling was really good, like on rails on the bmw and pretty good on the cb550k3. I reacon the bmw is a heavy bike by most peoples standards, especially in rt speck with full luggage and 2 up.  Going solo but with the luggage full I even did Breacon road (cardiff to Machynlleth) in the snow. Even with little tread on the center of the rear and a few inches of slush across the entire road that bike held the roads like glue. I rate those tyres very highly though I found tyre life inproved if the tyres were stored a while rather than fitted streight from the tyre depot after ordering.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 07:39:35 AM »
?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal