Author Topic: KN Air Filter  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
KN Air Filter
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:55:26 AM »
Hi All,
Looked on the search but had no luck.Just wondered what you all thought of them.Managed to get one cheap fitted it this morning went for a ride round and was surprised how good throttle response was after initial warm up.With the stock filter after a while used to get occasionally stumble when pulling away now no problem even at low revs in any gear pulls away real smooth.Does this sound to good?Your thoughts always appreciated.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: KN Air Filter
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »
Hi Bitsa I have one on the shelf waiting to go in my bike , biggest advantage is you can clean them and reuse them  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »
Don't have any experience personally Bitsa but it sounds about right. The K&Ns are less restrictive so when the vacuum in the inlet throat calls for more air it gets it more easily. With standard filter / inlet there is bound to be a bit of a lag while the air finds its way through the air box and filter. Would expect slightly more power too.

Only thing to check is the mixture. If more air gets in you may need more fuel to go with it. You could run lean. Am sure others can advise on that.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »
Waggles
Like I said throttle response low to mid revs is mutch improved.I went for a good scream around Sunday and will look at the plugs tonight.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 07:34:10 AM »
Hold on. Think I am thinking of something else. I was thinking of the individual K&N filters ( one per carb ) but I notice you are speaking in the singular! Is this a straight replacement for the standard filter then? If so can you point me at it as it sounds rather spiffing 'specially if you can wash it ( tight wad Waggles  ;) )

My comments still hold though so will be interested to hear what yer plugs look like Bitsa

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
 ;) yes K&N air filters  are much better than stock been using them for years, when you could pick em up for fiver each ,the original air box is very air restrictive anyway by all accounts  they sound nicer on my HM300 exhausts than on my HM341 more throaty and more of a howl, the HM341's are a lot more restricted noise wise and power anyway, we can thank good old USA legislation for that  ::) for best performance I would go for pod filters and a four into one exhaust if I was not to bothered about original spec

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 06:59:51 PM »
Waggles
Yes its a replacement for the standard one not cheap anymore but as Mick says very servicable.Checked the plugs all ok.Will have another ride tommorrow as its still good weather here.Bought it on sleaze 30 quid I think.
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:02:11 AM »
Bitsa,
Thanks for that, will see if I can find one as it sounds like something I should get and replace my standard one when its due. Might sound expensive but if it outlasts the original AND improves performance I want some! Not that I use all the performance I have anyway but a sweeter running bike is always a joy.

Off topic I know but I think my bike was happy this morning! ran a lot sweeter on the way to work! odd as I haven't touched anything! think she is just slowly coughing 25 years of inactivity out of her system!

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 08:22:17 PM »
Waggles
Might be sounding my own trumpet but today out and about lots of slow revs in villages etc and really surprised thoroughly enjoyed every minute.
No hesitation smooth take off no stuttering came home real happy and a perfect tickover.
Did this to celebrate http://www.youtube.com/embed/NF80SbicjBE?rel=0
 Cheers
Bitsa

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 01:46:01 AM »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline bluemouse1006

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 11:26:32 PM »
Any idea where I would get my Mitts on one of these filters ??
sounds like I need one in my life ha ha

Amos  :o
Amos

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal