Author Topic: Gear change / Kick start slop  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Gear change / Kick start slop
« on: August 08, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
F2 now finished, no short cuts, no "she'll be right", everything as spec as I could get it. (barring US engine / frame!)

Anyways, now getting fussy...

(1) Gear shift has a bit of slop (on footrest peg) - what is typical lateral play at the toe end? Any tips for taking this out? 

(2). Kickstart not clamped tight onto splines - despite going as tight as I dare on the pinch bolt. No question of it slipping etc, just 'offends'. Have tried closing it a little in the vice, but the metal too hard & doesn't give an inch... er mm. Is this normal; if not tips for making it solid to the shaft?

Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:42:03 PM by Lobo »

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Gear change / Kick start slop
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
Wow looks great. Is your silencer original too?

Will look later regarding your questions....
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:04:31 PM »
Cheers Tom,

Yep, Mint & OEM exhaust, seat & mudguards. Stove enamelled frame, stunning tank job that whisked me back to 1978! Carbs nicely set up, idles beautifully, throttle blips unhesitaingly. Only parts that need renewing now the rims, due bit of scuffing to the chrome.

Grateful for any comments on the perceived slop.

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »
There is at most 1mm gap on the kickstart in that photo. It's tight on the splines.

Gear shift has may be 2mm end float at the pivot and same amount of lateral movement at the toe end.

Hope that helps
Tom
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »
Cheers for that Tom.

As I thought, and now to find some way of making the Kickstart tightly clamped, and the gearshift 'bushed' somehow, as I reckon mine has about 8-10 mils lateral at the toe. I bought this as a re chromed / reconditioned item, and am not thrilled with it, as it ain't 100% 'true'. Wasn't cheap, and I'm now having doubts as to whether its had a bloody rebore!

Thanks again,
Simon.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »
Splines on the kickstart wear and the knuckles are very difficult to get now

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
Thanks Bryan,

Forgive me... what are the 'knuckles' - do you mean kick starter spindle mating part?

Fixes?  I feel that IF I could only pinch the kick start arm up a little I'd be home and dry.... but it is so bloody 'hard', and I don't want to damage the chrome.  There is no perceivable pinch closure even in a vice - a pattern kick start... or somehow hardened with age?

The splines actually appear ok... no obvious wear.

Cheers,

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
I think there always was a bit of 'slop' on the gear change lever, mine certainly has but it's never caused a problem. A previous 400f had rather more 'slop' so I just fitted a thicker washer behind the circlip, that reduced the end float and the 'slop'. As for the kickstart lever, of course that should be tight on the splines and over-enthuslastic tightening of the 6mm bolt should not be required. As mentioned the kickstart knuckle is unobtainable and hard to find. In truth you won't need to use the kickstarter much, if everything is right the 400f starts with a touch of the starter button. If the kickstart lever is really too loose it's either the shaft or the splines in the knuckle of course. Maybe borrow a kickstarter lever to discover which of the two parts is the problem. If you want to try that send me a PM.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 11:49:11 PM »
Thanks Kent.  Yup, mine does start beautifully on the button - just tightening it all up towards perfect. Might have found a new kick shaft spindle.... will get back to you once more known.
Cheers,
Simon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal