Author Topic: Marving 4 into 1  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Dan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Marving 4 into 1
« on: August 18, 2013, 02:51:05 PM »
Hi,
I was asked by another member if I would put some info on here about the exhaust on my bike, so here goes...

It's a Marving 4 into 1 race system bought from Wemoto.com about 18 months ago for £260.
Although its described as a race system it is not overly loud and has gone through 2 MOTs with no problems. It has a deep tone to it and only really turns up the volume when you open the throttle wide. Around town it isn't antisocial.

The system comes in one piece. You need to use your own exhaust clamps and collets and you have to fit the baffle in the silencer. The baffle and the cover for the end of the silencer are held in place by Allen bolts (supplied).

The system allows access to the oil filter and the downpipes follow a "standard" layout rather than the original systems swooping lines.

I haven't had the pleasure of riding a standard bike to compare with as mine came with a rotten hacksawed Marshall exhaust and I carried out a couple of mods on the carbs when rebuilding the bike.
Jets are one size larger, and needles raised one notch. The bike pulls well through the rev range with no flat spots. Occasionally as the throttle is cracked open there is a wooly feeling to the response but with a more positive wider opening this doesn't happen. I think this is more an issue with my carbs rather than anything to do with the exhaust.

After 18 months of mainly fair weather riding but a couple of times in the wet the chrome is unmarked. The only part of the exhaust that lets it down is the collecter where the down pipes join the silencer link pipe. For whatever reason this is not chromed but is hand painted with what looks like aluminium paint. Other welds at the end of the silencer are chromed and show no signs of corrosion.

Hope this is of use to anyone considering buying a Marving pipe. I've no regrets.

Dan
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:56:04 PM by Dan »
1994 GSXR750WR Endurance rep
1975 CB400F ongoing project

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Marving 4 into 1
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »
What a great write up,  sounds quite good for a reasonabloe price
pete

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:42:47 PM »
Dan that's great - thanks for taking the trouble and really nice pictures. I think your carb mods are exactly the ones I did on my original 400F when I fitted that quirky Yoshimura pipe someone else on here has.

Also can't see much/any bluing of the downpipes ?

Cheers again
Tom
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Dan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »
Tom
I did give it a quick polish with Solvol before taking the pics. The only discolouration you get is on the bend at the top of the down pipes, as you might expect.
Dan

Bodd

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 01:17:52 PM »
I was looking at getting one of those but after seeing your write up I'm not sure, the collector box does indeed let it down and the muffler isn't as upswept as I want. I contacted Wemoto who confirmed it was not road legal in the UK which I was prepared to chance but they also said the photo on their site is an "example" photo and the system may vary slightly. Thanks for the write up it helped loads.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Dan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 02:29:32 PM »
I've seen the same system on a 400Four on Google images with the collector box chromed. Maybe the owner had it chromed after he bought it.
I agree the picture in the advert was what caught my eye and the actual system may benefit visually being a bit more upswept. It is made to fit the standard mounting points and, for me, it wasn't worth trying to modify a brand new exhaust and make up new brackets just to put a few more degrees on the silencer.
It's not a bad system for the money though and although not strictly street legal, it's not too loud and has gone through 3 mot's with no problems.
Also, I put the needles back to standard since the original write up and the bike now runs perfectly with Ramair filter and jets up one size.

Bodd

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 06:39:56 PM »
I found another photo (below) on this site, it looks similar to yours and the collector box is chrome but the joints look painted, I think the example picture on Wemoto's site is the one on the Kawasaki Z650.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 06:56:16 PM »
I had a Mirving system back in the 70.s. The baffle was simply a 12 inch tube with 12 mm holes in it (lots of them) in a piece of pipe that was swaged up to fit over the end of the system and held on with an allen key all the way from top to bottom. Came from a wholesalers called Mobyke somewhere in the Wembly ares, a man called Stan Dibden was the rep and NGK rep--ex sidecar racer and could read a plug superbly. After the chrome fell off the third system I had a pre-production one where you couldn't get the oil filter off and had that shot blasted,  hot alluminimum sprayed and black Sperex. To pass MOT I had to stuff so much glass fibre up it it only just got to the testing station(before i was testing) and on one IOM TT holiday i "lost" the baffle and rode home without it, the MCN man on a 500twin had to pass me on my 500/four as he was going deaf.

Those were the days---more old stories

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 07:07:02 PM »
I remember seeing and hearing a Marving 4 into one on a 400/4 owned by a guy at work back in 79/80 era... it was matt black and made a great sound which was loud and deep. I assumed it was race system as I never saw another. My Yoshimura was tame compared to that !

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »
I have a Marving pipe that looks identical to the one in Bodds first pic with the flat collector with painted welds.
I think it's for a 750 but my exhaust clamps and collets don't fit around the pipes.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Dan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »
I like the look of the original systems that were black with a white logo. I think today's silencer is probably a bit more effective but it's still held there with an Allen bolt.

Bodd - just seen the pic of your engine, very nice 👍

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal