Author Topic: What is the screw plug on the front of the engine.  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Warthog1959

• View Profile
What is the screw plug on the front of the engine.
« on: August 20, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »
I have a bit of a leak at the front of the engine, where there is a circular plug with a slot in it. I can't move it with a large flat head. The slot is a bit chewed. I obviously need to replace it, but don't even know what it's called or what it's for. Neither do I know how I'm going to get it out. Any advice on this and why it would leak oil. :-\

Offline Warthog1959

• View Profile
Re: What is the screw plug on the front of the engine.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
Well I've had 38 reads and no answers, I'm thinking either I've written it really badly or nobody knows. I'm still hoping before I have to go to the American site  ;D

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »
Hi think it is something to do with the main oil gallery which is permanetly sealed in production, if it were mine i would thoroughly  degrease ,  a slight rough up with 600 wet and dry , then get some jb weld and work it over all suspect areas, this can always be touched in with paint to make the repair less obvious
pete

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:22:13 PM »
got a photo warthog ?
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline Warthog1959

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »
Have not got one to hand. Here the image of the engine on this page shows a coin sized circle above the oil filter and in between the two engine mount holes. This has a slot in it as if for a large flat head screw driver. If like Pete says it is factory sealed, then perhaps his solution is the best.

http://world.honda.com/design/designers-talk/cb1100/

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:23:25 PM »
if its a 750 F it looks like part number 15337-300-010, oil tube plug & comes with an O-ring , part 91319-300-000.  I dont think it will be a permanently factory sealed part when available as its own item and with an O-ring. Its avaiable from Dave Silver for about five quid
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 12:38:14 PM »
That is good news that it does come out , i had a similar plug on a  kawasaki enging side cover, i ended up making a tool to undo it out of a piece of flat stainless metal kind of like a giant screwdriver tip then clamping it in a pair of mole grips and with lots of force pushing against it while turning i eventually got it undone, you could try heating it up before attempting to undo, and if it is the oil gallery plug and its leaking the chances are the threads are well oiled so you stand a good chance of undoing,
pete

Offline Warthog1959

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »
Guys, that is awesome. Parts ordered and armed with some know how to get that thing out. I wonder if that is the only leak left. I rarely get a drip on the floor, but There is always some oil hanging round somewhere.

This could be it, there was a small pool on the lip after only 14 miles. Then I guess it spreads about on the move and drips down underneath in the garage.

Thanks once again

Si

ka-ja

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »
Hi,
    If you have problems getting it out, I had the same problem with a seized and damaged blanking plug on my 400/4, I ended up with the following result, give me a PM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal