Author Topic: Favorite tyre fitments  (Read 982 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Favorite tyre fitments
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »
hi all,

as you can see from my profile pic,I have a well used 500,

for the past 6-8yrs I have used Avon Roadrider 90/90 x 19 f,and 100/90 x 18 rear,

as both need changing,
I am going for the new Dunlop Streetsmart 3.25 x 19 F,and 4.00 x18 R,

both sets run at 29psi F,and 36 psi R,

the Avons make the bike feel light and nimble,like a little 250,gives me confidence to touch the footrest and stand,hopefully the
new Dunlops will be as good,and even better,my rear is lasting up to 3k miles,the front about 8k, :) :)

what tyres do you prefer??

this is aimed mainly at the owners that ride the bike,rather than just polish and  show them,

all comments welcome

John
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite tyre fitments
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:09:40 AM »
Must admit, I've not used the Dunlop streetsmarts, I did use TT100's many years ago, but always preferred Avon Roadrunners back then. These days I stick with Avon Roadriders on my 750F1, they give very good grip, (stand and silencer both scrape regularly!)and reasonable mileage 3000 miles rear, 6000 miles front. I tend to ride it as everyday transport in all weathers, so experience has shown these to be the best on my bike for my riding style ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite tyre fitments
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »
Avon Roadrunner (19/350) on the front was good along with Avon sm mk2 (400/18) at the rear, I started with these as sidecar tyres - well the rears at any rate, the fronts were because I was offered some really cheap, but the wear rate was good as was the handling so they became a favourite for me in all riding and when the 550/4 died I put the tyres over onto my bmwr80/7 rt which took same sizes and that handled nicer then on the dunlop tt100's it came with, I alarmed my mate when he went pillion on my bm when he realised I was skimming the engine crash bars on the road round roundabouts - the bm is a big bike to crank over that far and I'd not really realised how far I leant it. The tyres were used in all weathers, including commuting to my girlfrinds over the breacon beacons in the snow wit 4  inches of slush on the road. My bikes wouldn't know what polish is but if they get an mot then they get ridden as I don't drive and live 20 miles from work.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal