Author Topic: Repro F0/F1/ K7 & A caliper bodies  (Read 1759 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Repro F0/F1/ K7 & A caliper bodies
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:29:21 PM »
Just to let anyone interested know, Dave Silver Spares now has reproduction caliper bodies in stock for the above models. They are exact replicas, and are fully interchangeable with standard parts, just under £50 + V.A.T., means we don't have to buy overpriced secondhand crap from e-bay anymore ;D He also has replica caliper pistons as well ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Repro F0/F1/ K7 & A caliper bodies
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:12:39 PM »
Hi Hairy git.
I am all for company's to make stuff that almighty Honda do not wish to do anymore because sarcastically no one wants this crap anymore but a while ago I bought from DS replica clocks turned out shit the 35 year old ones performed better.Its always in my opinion that as much as they try they just can not get it right.Pattern pads do not fit right again from previous said had to grind them down to fit.I am afraid to say this but until a decent firm comes up with the right stuff I will still buy outrageous stuff off eBay and try and restore it.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
I have had a few pattern parts from D S and find some things are ok like the master cylinders, but some of the trim items are not acceptable, we want exact replicas of the original. I got some tank trims for the 550 K3 I had but they were not even close in shape and did not fit. I did not use them. So mainly use NOS or genuine used items where possible.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:00:05 PM »
I can vouch for these calipers, they are spot on, Dave Silver sent back several different prototypes until he was totally happy with it. He has a thing about safety critical parts being exactly right, and mine fitted perfectly with all the original parts, but if people want to risk overpriced crap from e-bay, and F1 calipers are very hard to find in any condition (I know, I had to buy 4 off e-bay to find one that didn't have f**ked threads or other damage after some scumbag stole mine 250 miles from home!) ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Repro F0/F1/ K7 & A caliper bodies
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 02:36:07 PM »
I'm with hairygit on this one. I can't vouch for the other dss repro parts, but the braking Items I've received and used on several bikes have been spot on. The only exception I've had was with one of the repro caliper bodies which had a critical drilling missing - must have been a mfg fault although all other machined features seemed to be to a very high standard.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:52:33 PM by Jamesh_sussex »

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:50:15 AM »
Well I renovated my F1 calipers as, basically I had to but had these been available I would have gone for them. The problem with renovating old brake parts is once the bore has corroded beyond a certain level they are essentially scrap and will never work properly again, plus threads are bound to wear, its in their job description a new one HAS to be safer surely? you cant rebore and fit oversize pistons to my knowledge.

I beleive there is a firm that will bore them out and fit stainless sleeves though, no idea how good that is

I am tempted to buy one of these as a spare, if Hairy says they are OK thats good enough for me.

Offline hondaking

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 10:11:40 PM »
I have spent £1000 of pounds at silvers over the last few years and most parts are quite well made. There are a few parts that did not come up to standard for example Ign switches  Coils and brake pads Fitted some repro pads in my mates 250 dream and we could not stop it at all. Also machining callipers and fitting oversize pistons is not a problem have done it a few times in the past. I have been Restoring Honda's for the last 20 years and always got around most problems.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal