Author Topic: Which chain do i need??  (Read 9662 times)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Which chain do i need??
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 08:40:13 PM »
I've never had issues with split link chains on the 500 or 550 - Ive seen a split link go Awol once on my 125 twin, but both the 250 and 125 twins I have from the 90's have had a long history of being very harsh on chains - I think due to power delivery being a bit lumpy on twins and the chains not really being up to the job. On the 500 however they are really smooth bikes in power delivery terms and the chains seem to take everything you can throw at them, right to the point on one occasion where the chain started to slip on the sprocketts as I was skint and had removed 2 links from the worn out chain. Split links are fine for the 500 in my books and make life nice and easy.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline hunterso

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 11:18:32 AM »
Hi Chaps

Just a quick update on this and some help if possible

I bought a 525vx chain and its been sat, waiting  for me to organise a new sprocket kit too.

I bought the new standard sprocket kit this week and.......bugger...... the chain doesn't fit.
It just wont sit into the teeth of the sprockets  :(

So what do i need to do?

Are there any sprockets to suit the cb550 that will accept a 525vx chain or do i just need to forget my gold chain thoughts and buy a standard 530 chain?

Offline hunterso

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 07:07:39 PM »
Hi oddjob

The chain is a DID 525VX

I think you have hit the nail on the head there my friend
Just had a measure up and the gap between the plates of the chain is 8.1mm while the sprockets are  8.6mm

What can I do?

Get my file out? (Is that even safe) or buy a 530 chain?

Really appreciate all your help on this

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ka-ja

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 07:57:25 PM »
Hi,
     Sorry to say but buy the correct 530 chain (5/8 by 3/8) while yours is "5/8 by 5/16",the modern metric sizes are based on the old imperial sizes, 5 being link length and 30 being roller width,and don't buy heavy duty X-ring 530 either, I have a new one of those sat under the bench that catches the engine castings, (learn by one's mistakes).
     Rivit links are usually found on more modern H/D drive chains, older drive chains were never much of a problem with split links as long as they were new and fitted with the clip closed end facing direction of chain travel, they did not have to deal with the raw power of modern bikes either.--Ken

Offline hunterso

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 12:18:37 AM »
Thanks again for the help on this.

It seems more trouble than its worth - which is a shame
All i want is a groovy looking chain, daft i know.

Might just buy myself a 530 with a split link and be done with it.

Saying that, i have just come across this on ebay. Its gold, its 530, its non o-ring and has a split link.

What do you think?

Offline hunterso

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 08:32:34 AM »
Obviously it would have helped if I had included the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lextek-Heavy-Duty-Motorcycle-Drive-Chain-530-100-Links-Gold-Finish-/181284746990?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2a3569b6ee

Yes it's Chinese made.

Am I going to die in a huge chain related fireball?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 09:31:36 AM »
It's hard to argue with a price like that.

That's a tank of fuel...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 09:58:28 AM »
Hmm, I work & live in Asia (Brunei) .... and for love nor money can't buy quality stuff. It's all CRAP from China, and ya just know will only last 2 washes, or survive one rainfall, or fail due a power surge to 245V!

Bottom line, some things we'll buy, others we give a wide berth. And something that has the potential to significantly affect your health (!)... I'd run a bloody mile!

Seriously, stuff that's safety related isn't worth skimping on. In my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 02:43:25 PM »
I have run a couple of chineese made chains as they were dirt cheap, had one off a Hong dou 250 I broke and fitted it to my wifes cb250 nighthawk - it snapped a link at quite low milage, think I picked up another and had the same story, snapped a link within 500 miles when I was riding. I reacon buying a decent brnd chain probably pays off in wear terms. Safety wise I've lost a few chains over the years - the 250 nighthawk seeming to be harshest on chains along with my smaller but similar rebel 125. So far the worst I've had in the inconvienience of being late for work. Sadly a fair ammout of stuff from China is poor quality - not all but enough to make me want to avoid it, having in the past year had 2 sets of rear brake shoes drop their linings and the front brake pads did the same. I geuus I'm lucky as with this list of failiures I have only been made late twice and not actually gotten hurt or come off.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 02:55:57 PM »
^^ this is a family forum.... but the second word is "hell"
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline hunterso

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »
Hmmmm - so it seems i really could die in a chain related fireball  :o

Looks like a std 530 is the only way to go which is a shame.

Seems you can get purdy lookin chains in most sizes - but not not in 530 std  :(

I see plenty of cb550 cafe racers on the net with gold chains - suppose they must be going down to 520 or so and getting custom sprockets made.

Really didn't think it would be so hard to sort out.

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 09:30:12 AM »
Hi,

I bought one from Carpys site I know its in America but I didn't pay import tac etc on it !!!

Its a good quality chain I bought a black one but he does a gold and other wild colors one as well here's the link

http://www.cb750cafe.com/products-page/cafe-parts/530-o-ring-chain-goldred-nickel-blackwhitegreenblue/

Cheers
1976 CB750 F1 SS in bits !!! but getting there

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
Carpy is a member here - I suggest you drop him a PM or an email.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 10:26:10 AM »
Hi,

I bought one from Carpys site I know its in America but I didn't pay import tac etc on it !!!

Its a good quality chain I bought a black one but he does a gold and other wild colors one as well here's the link

http://www.cb750cafe.com/products-page/cafe-parts/530-o-ring-chain-goldred-nickel-blackwhitegreenblue/

Cheers

But that is an O-ring chain!
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 10:31:12 AM »
Does it matter if its a o ring chain ??? cheers
1976 CB750 F1 SS in bits !!! but getting there

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal