Author Topic: Which chain do i need??  (Read 9660 times)

Offline hunterso

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Which chain do i need??
« on: October 16, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
I need to put a new chain and sprocket set on my bike but i'm a bit confused as to which one i actually need.

520, 530 x-ring, o-ring, D.I.D ???

What is the difference in them?

Can any of you helpful souls point me in the right direction

Only one thing - I want a gold chain

If you could post a link to something suitable without costing an arm or leg (or both) that would be great

Thanks

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: Which chain do i need??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »
Do not use an o/xring chain as these are too wide and can grind away your engine casings.
David Silvers does the correct one for £19. I have over 4000 miles on mine so far and it looks fine.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/part_28916/
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline hunterso

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:27:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply Les

So is the crucial part for our bikes 530?
I take it that is the chain pitch?

Are X Ring and O Ring methods of sealing? Do these make the chain wider?

I have seen 530 (in both X-Ring and O-Ring)

So what is D.I.D? Standard chain without either X-RING or O-Ring sealing?

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »
Lots of millimetres in there Oddjob.

In the 70's we have gallons (still do!), Fahrenheit and inches...

A 520 chain has a pitch of 5/8 inch and a width of 2/8 inch (1/4 inch)
A 530 chain has a pitch of 5/8 inch and a width of 3/8 inch
A 630 chain has a pitch of 6/8 inch (3/4 inch) and a width of 3/8 inch

Tell me I'm stupid and completely wrong Bryan!

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

ka-ja

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:23:38 PM »
Hi,
    SteveD you are right with you sizes, and 530 (5/8-3/80 was a very popular size, but I can confirm as far as the 400/4 is concerned, a heavy duty X-ring chain 530 will wreck the engine castings at nearly 8mm wider than a standard 530 chain, my gold coloured HD x-ring is hidden away in my box of silly buys after trying it on the bike

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:04:06 PM »
I did most of my sidecar milage on a 0 ring chain, not sure of the exact type, beyond that Dave Silvers offered it as a choice for my 500/4. Lasted really well, think it's still on there and no case dammage in 100,000 miles of use - not all out of 1 chain I don't think but o ring chain from DID will run on a 500, cann't comment on gold finish chains. I'd bother going the extra super heavy duty chains on a 500 or 550 given that even with a sidecar attatched and running chains with links removed to get that extra few miles out of them I never broke a chain on the 500, I think the power delivery being smooth helps with that as my 125  and 250 have broken chains that are hardly anywhere near as worn.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline hunterso

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »
Oddjob

Thats amazing info you've given there - thanks

Think i will add a 525VX DID to the shopping list.

If i need to remove any links is this easy to do (with a proper link remover of course) with regard to the x-peened rivets?

I've done plenty of pedal cycle chains but never a motorcycle.

Thanks for all replies chaps

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 07:22:56 AM »
First "O" ring chain I remember was the 630 fitted to the 750F2 and I distinctly remember it had to be oiled with EP 90.

I too have run O ring chains on a 500 with no problem but have also seen others that have rubbed badly, the chain spec "standards" only relate to the width inside the plates and so they can be made with thicker plates which increases the overall width and makes for rubbing so, as oddjob said, with modern chains being better anyway a "standard" 530 is more than adequate.

Steve---you are perfectly correct with your sizes we used to fit Reynolds 5/8 x 3/8 to all the 750/500/550/400 as we bought it by the roll

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »
Blimey Oddjob I remember doing all that shit aswell.Are you older than me?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 09:40:52 PM »
Me (1958)

I remember Duckham's Chain Lube cans on the cooker too.

Thank God we don't have to go through that nowadays...

I could put "Age" on the profile display. We tried it on sohc.net but everybody lies!!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 07:07:09 AM »
OK I'll admit to January 53 so yes oddjob you are a bairn!!(but only just)

I can remember the first airarsole chain lube on sale and WD40 being new, although we sold Castrol DWF at half the price, Reynolds chain, Avon squaremasters and re-grade quality Dunlop ribbed tyres---on the front of my Triumph T110.

Anything else you want to rwmwnis about.

By the way Oddjob I don't doubt that your spec sheet shows the pin length but from what i remember the BS spec was the width inside plates and distance between pin centres plus breaking tensile strength

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »
As everyone is putting in their thrupence ha'penny worth I shall join in.  In my humble opinion the finest way to go is to fit a standard chain (530) and with the money you save, invest in a scottoiler.  I cannot speak highly enough of these things.  They are especially good for rural winter use and keep the chain in very good order with very little effort.  I have managed to hide mine under the seat so I don't even have to worry about spoiling those lovely 70s lines. 

http://www.scottoiler.com/

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »
Hmm, I'll just spend £19 on a chain every once in a while thanks Florence.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

ka-ja

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
Hi,
     Fitted a EK o-ring 530 chain in 1985 to the 400/4, run for 4yrs. and stood for 19yrs in damp outhouse, chain was red rust, but every link moved on removal from the bike-amazing!
                                                        PS I am 1944 vintage and wish sometimes I wasn't

Offline hunterso

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »
Ok - one more question chaps

Is it ok to use a connecting link with a split link as opposed to the riveted type on something like a 525vx D.I.D Chain?

Thanks again for all of the very helpful info on this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal