Author Topic: cb750 frame dilemma  (Read 1405 times)

750rideruk

cb750 frame dilemma
« on: October 19, 2013, 04:14:19 PM »
My cb750 K1 that i have proudly owned for 37 years has a problem. The frame rail across the frame where the main stand is fixed has rotted so that the main stand now comes so far forward that it is of no use. I have sourced a new frame which originated from the USA.
Can I swop the frame and inform the DVLA simply of a frame number change and keep the original reg no?
I rang them and it appears that i have to jump through a load of hoops and then end up with a Q plate.
Anyone had this problem. I do not want to go down the grind out and weld in the old number route but want to keep everything as is.
Can any of our group advise on the ways forward?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: cb750 frame dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:16:51 PM »
The only LEGAL way forward if you insist on the "New" frame is to get a proof of year of build letter from HONDA (about £30 and  8 weeks) then rebuild into new frame, mot and insure on frame number then pay the registration fee and tax cost to get a new "Age Related" registration.

Personally I would cut out the rotten tube and replace with either a donor one or a fabricated one as this requires no notification whatsoever to anybody
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:18:28 PM by Bryanj »

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »
 ;) I agree  with bryan cut out the rotten cross member and fit new tube if you got concerns get it done by a good welder  less hassle and as you say you want too keep it all together bikewise ,this seems to be the only bit of the frame that rots out on these bikes a guy not far from me is doing the same thing with his k0

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »
My gold bike recently done the same thing just before it went back on the road ::)
I intend on striping her down and weld a new tube in
Someone told me in the rush to produce the k1's there were no weep holes drilled in the frame rails so that's another job on the to do list

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal