Author Topic: zinc plating  (Read 1958 times)

Offline hondaking

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
zinc plating
« on: October 25, 2013, 10:37:09 PM »
Hi every one

Well it will soon
 be time to strip my F2 for a rebuild. Just wondered if anyone has used those home Zinc plating kits before and what results did you get. My bike has never been stripped before so all the original fixings are there.

59viperman

Re: zinc plating
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:47:58 PM »
hope you get a few replies to this because I have been looking at buying one on ebay, so far on other forums I have had good reports.

ka-ja

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
Hi,
     Pretty close to zinc is industrial chrome plate, I had my exhaust collets done by a company in Hull, and it gave a similar finish to zinc, ie. silvered but not shiney

Offline fisjon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:37:49 PM »
Hi Hondaking,
I purchased one of those zinc kits of ebay about two years ago when I was restoring my CB650Z.
You need alot of patience and determination if you want to get good results. Everything has to be spotlessly clean before it goes into the zinc bath. You will need to replace the chemicals and the acid after a certain amount of use to maintain the quality of the zinc plate finish and you will have to replace the zinc anodes as well as they just dissapear into the bath (onto the metal).

If you put in a nice smooth peice of metal you will get really good results, so it depends on the condition of the metal. Any metal that has rusted, even though it may even be sand blasted will have pitting and will not look good. Some metal, (alloys) will not take a coating of zinc.

I reclaimed a lot of parts when restoring my CB but there were some parts that were just not good enough to put on the bike even after zincing. For the cost of the unit I could have replaced a lot of metal parts NOS.

Best way to describe it is a love hate relationship. You need a lot of determiation for it to work out.

Would I buy another kit, in a word, NO.

Hope this helps.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »
Hi,
I bought a kit some years back and have started using it for many of my 350/4 and 400/4 parts.
I fully agree with the earlier replies that the finish you start with on your component reflects the finish you will achieve after plating.  Rough, pitted parts can still be done if cosmesis is not critical (parts you cannot easily see) but they will at least be protected.
Mine is a Gateros kit and I have no connection with that company but am pleased with it.  I am fortunate that I have a stabilised power supply, with variable current and voltage - which makes for repeatable results.
I put a page on my web site about this topic and it appeared in Tansha a while back.

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stories/Bikes/Japanese/Zinc%20Plating.htm

Regards,
Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal