Author Topic: punch marks on chain adjusters  (Read 1866 times)

MIKE550/4

punch marks on chain adjusters
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »
read the Clymer manual and don't get this

the chain adjusters have punch marks, how defined are these? can you put these on upside down ?

swingarm has been powdercoated?

is this purely for  chain tension?

confused by this any help appreciated

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:43:53 AM by MIKE550/4 »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: punch marks on chain adjusters
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »
There are marks like grooves on the flat part at the back of the swing arm, then you will find a notch on the edge of the chrome adjuster  so that you can see how far you move each side.

Can;t remember if the adjusters have a notch on top and bottom or only one side---if only one side then yes they can be upside down.

POINT TO NOTE:-  all the books say to get the wheels lined up with a straight edge and not to trust setting the notches at the same mark each side, but having said that I have yet to find one that does not match

Offline Sharpy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 01:10:33 PM »
They are generally for wheel alignment but I am yet to come across a bike, new or old, where these seem to mean anything in relation to wheel alignment. 

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
They are generally for wheel alignment but I am yet to come across a bike, new or old, where these seem to mean anything in relation to wheel alignment.

?
Can you shed some more light. Mine (CB500) seem to be allright.

Offline Sharpy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
I have just found that on the bike I have had they are not very accurate, thus leading to wheels that are not aligned properly.  Modern Suzukis being about the worst, not sure how they manage it really.

It became clear when I used to let go of the bars now and then and the bike would steer one way or the other, when I measured it with string then it showed the wheel was out, pretty annoying, as a result I have never used them I set the bike using string and then adjust using 1/4 turns when needed and now and then double check with string.

Might just be me buying bent bikes but of the c15 bikes I have owned 1 has been okay.

Just my tuppence

Cheers

Sharpy

MIKE550/4

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 06:26:21 PM »
got a better understanding now, I can see marks top and bottom on chain adjusters after having a better look, so don't think it matters which way

ok another query, I can see marks faintly on the swingarm perhaps 6 lines vertical

I take it you align marks with chain adjuster and swingarm furthest into the swingarm and then fit chain and pull back wheel to take up slack for length of chain?

will put some pics up tomorrow to confirm

thanks for input learning all the time

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 09:20:02 PM »
ok another query, I can see marks faintly on the swingarm perhaps 6 lines vertical

I take it you align marks with chain adjuster and swingarm furthest into the swingarm and then fit chain and pull back wheel to take up slack for length of chain?

These are what are being discussed in the above posts.
Put your wheel on, put the chain on and adust the slack. The marks on the swinging arm are to ensure the rear wheel is aligned.
I never trust those marks either and use the string to check mine.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

MIKE550/4

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »
I see so a guide only for wheel alignment..... just re read all the posts, I was concentrating more on using it for chain adjustment

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »
Mike, they are for chain adjustment. You move the wheel the same number of marks each side AFTER you have the wheel alignment right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal