Author Topic: Speedo Wobble  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Sharpy

• View Profile
Speedo Wobble
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:35:40 AM »
One thing I noticed as I pottered home last night was the amount the speedo wobble, particularly when you go over a bump... is this normal?

Cheers
  8)

ka-ja

Re: Speedo Wobble
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 09:21:07 AM »
Hi,
    Not with the 400/4, I would be double checking for excess movement in steering head, front forks and wheel bearings.

Offline Sharpy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »
Okay, They were all checked for the MOT... however they will be coming off for the next stage of work so I will double check them then.

Not knowing if I was doing 50 or 60mph was, lets say... interesting!    ;D

ka-ja

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
Hi,
    Don't forget spoke and inflation checks as well, I have often seen bikes pass MOT's with minimal checks on wheel bearings etc. especially when there is no center stand to clear the wheels off the ground!

Offline Sharpy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 12:48:15 PM »
Wheels are being respoked soon so I will make sure that they are all tight at that point, and I do tyre inflation checks weekly, tend to find that about enough, unless the bike feels odd.

Bur good points.

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:43:54 PM »
Check the speedo cable, if there is any damage to the cable outer covering water can enter and corrode the inner cable. That causes the inner cable to be less flexable and as a consequence slows down, and speeds up as it revolves.Probably gets worse the faster the cable revolves. If there was a problem with the speedo the needle would waver at speeds a lot lower that 50 mph.

Offline Sharpy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »
Brand new cable, however I will not write that off as the bike has been sat for a while in-between me getting the cable and getting it on the road so it may have gummed up quite a bit, they are cheap enough so I might just get another.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 05:35:46 PM »
Hi if you mean the speedo needle pointer is jumping about rather than going up and down smoothly then it means your speedo damper pot is dry and needs refilling
pete

Offline Sharpy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 06:27:59 PM »
Ah okay, thanks Pete I will check that out as well... The list of things to do over winter is getting longer, and thats just for the speedo!!!

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 07:11:34 PM »
Plus one with Pete have finally got a good one now.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal