Author Topic: how hot is too hot  (Read 974 times)

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
how hot is too hot
« on: November 28, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
I am running my engine in a rig before putting in the frame for good. I am about to balance the carbs but I am wandering, does anyone have any idea what the safe temperature to keep inside. i feel I may not have enough air flow while running . i sat a gauge on the rocker cover and it was reading 60C and rising. ???

Billy
Thanks
Billy

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: how hot is too hot
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »
Have you thought about having a cold fan blowing from the front to cool it, i always use the spit test to see how hot it is, if it is just starting to sizzle when you spit on the hot engine then that ok, if it really fizzes like water in a hot frying pan then thats time to cool it
if you have a temperature gauge then you should be looking at 225 to 275
pete

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »
Thanks Peter,
I do have a small 10" fan blowing on the front but it just seems V hot.
250F is about 121C

so my 60C is OK then
Billy
Thanks
Billy

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »
Billy.
If you are worried about how hot it is when stopped remove dip stick and put it on your finger you will know if its hot or not.The fan while messing about is a good idea use it all the time and had no problems so far.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

ka-ja

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »
Hi,
    It is difficult to say what is too hot on a stationary engine, but I suspect there would some surprised people about if they knew how hot a moving motorcycle engine gets, the problem is that very few people would try feeling the heat bouncing out of an engine at 70mph., it's safer to keep your hands on the bars!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal