Author Topic: Big Bore Jetting  (Read 2130 times)

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Big Bore Jetting
« on: December 01, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »
Hi Guys
Have posted a question on 836 big bore kit and thanks to everyone for their advice. So after trawling through previous posts on kit from Japan on ebay, I've decided to go for an 836 kit from Japan that runs standard compression (purely as its cheaper than rebore on original spec pistons).
Anybody recommend jetting for 836 big bore kit on standard compression with standard airbox (with the recommended K&N filter in) and standard exhaust? Obviously, I'm looking at a starting point and know it will need to be tweaked - I'm sure someone will have run this set up before?
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Big Bore Jetting
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:48:59 AM »
Hi Phil I have no personal experience of jetting for the 836 kit soz, but you may have more luck with your question on the US site as a lot of the fellas on there have fitted the same kit  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:38:46 AM »
 ;) I would say leave the settings standard as you are still using original exhaust and air box and perhaps run it  a little bit rich as its a new build as long as it runs ok I wouldn't tinker with the carbs until its well run in, that's my thoughts on it anyway
    BTW I rebuild one of my motors a few years ago and went two sizes oversize on the pistons didn't make any difference on the settings or running of the bike I think your bike will feel a lot more punchy with the big bore kit   8)

Offline fisjon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »
I would agree with Steff750, back in the 70's big bore kits were all the rage and there were many questions about upsizing the jets.
The thing is, if you alter the exhaust, you generally need to alter the jets to compensate for the loss of back pressure. When my 750K1 exhausts rotted and fell off I fitted Dunstall four into twos, and the correct jets came with the kit. The bugger then gobbled fuel, ran ok but really did not go any quicker as Dunstall would have you believe.

If you are increasing capacity, but are not increasing the choke diameter, then there is little to gain by changing the jets. The bigger pistons will suck more air per stroke, but the carbs will simply supply the correct fuel/air mixture according to demand, that's what carbs do. It does not matter whether x amount of air is being demanded by a 736 or 836 motor providing that the choke size can cope with demand, which it can. If you were to go track racing, and wanted peak power then you would mod the intake and put larger carbs on.

If it worries you, check the plug colour after some use, if you feel that the motor is running a tad weak you can always lift the needle jet one notch but I think you won't need to alter the carbs at all for normal use.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
Thanks everyone, the standard settings suggestion makes perfect sense when broken down to basics! And easiest too! I am planning ahead because although I've bought the big bore kit, am now saving for mains/big ends/primary chain/etc. Will probably be Feb/March before I get to putting motor together - its only a newly painted and polished engine shell without bits in at moment.
Any other weak points to check for while I'm ordering engine bits - ie gearbox bearing/etc
Thanks again for your help
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 07:21:03 PM »
Replace all the rubber bits in the cam chain tensioner mechanism

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal