Author Topic: ebay scam?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Ian DB

• View Profile
ebay scam?
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
Hi Guys, thought you might be interested in this one, I bought my 500 four off eBay back in September from a nice chap over in Rotherham, and whilst browsing on eBay the other night (as you do) an advert caught my eye which turned out to be my bike. The advert and pic were the same as when i had bid on the bike in September. However it wasn't posted by same guy who sold it me.
The seller stated that they were selling it for someone else and all contact should be made via their email address.
I emailed the person who posted the ad pointing out that they were advertising my bike and requested the pic be removed and the ad changed. I never got a reply but the posting did disappear the following day.... I felt sorry the the 2 guys who had already bid on it.

Ian   

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: ebay scam?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
Seems this happens quite often in the US.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:22:43 PM »
Hi Guys
I came across the same thing this weekend. This time it was a Norvin that stated selling for someone else and contact the seller direct via email. The text stated would accept £2000 which obviously grabs the eye.  I emailed the person asking where bike was located but the ad was ended and re-posted stating £3000.  I got a reply saying it was up it was in Aberdeen and that it was her recently passed away fathers bike and that she lived in Greece and so would have bike delivered if I was interested - all I would have to do is give my name and address for delivery and when money was received via ebay (she wanted to complete via ebay for our mutual protection!) she would arrange for delivery. The ad had disappeared again at this stage.
Now Norvins don't come along at £3k so in the mean time I did some research and the bike had been sold on ebay in October for £7k plus in Coventry and prior to that it was advertised for £10,950 in Essex!
I emailed them saying I was reporting it to ebay (that's another story - its like trying to platt fog trying to contact ebay!) - naturally, I didn't get a reply.
If it looks to good to be true - it probably is!
So be careful - I think the scams about getting names and address' as I'm sure nobody would part with  that amount of cash without seeing the bike?
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
This is happening all over ebay not just with bikes, every day about 4 fake adds for motohomes go on ebay, all of them to cheap to be true , and asking for contact to be made through email rather than ebay,  ebay seem to be doing jack shit about this, they just rely on people policeing ebay adds for them and reporting them, then they remove them, it is getting really bad now so beware
pete

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 08:14:06 PM »
I thought this was happening a lot laity I was searching for a thruxton today and found this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Thruxton-900-/181255372716?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2a33a97fac
If this don't look fishy nothing does
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »
Hi Guys
This is the norm on ebay.com, many a time that fantastic k0 is on there at $2800 dollars, selling on behalf of a friend who works on a cruise ship- was told it was in florida so I called there bluff and said strange I am in the states in a few days, I will come and see it, the end of communication. The bike shown is actually in Canada, advised the guy, he took it up with ebay, they didn't give a toss. Keep on your toes guys
regards neal the gasman

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal