Author Topic: Nostalgia - No fool like an old fool...  (Read 2124 times)

Offline davidcumbria

• Such great knowledge and support on here 👍
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Nostalgia - No fool like an old fool...
« on: December 04, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »
Hi just obtained a 750k3 in exchange for my Commando mkIII. In the 70's while a student my biking went C90 ( memorable 150 mile commutes to college on B roads in freezing  weather), CB200 and finally a 30K 500/4 which I went to Italy and back on. Ironic that my 2013 CB750 has only got 8k on it ! Got back into biking in 2009 and have been through Harleys, Fireblades, street triple (currently own the bikes below) but like many wanted to have those bike I could only lust after as a youth. So first the brutish commando and now finally the CB750. It's a green US import and completely original unrestored in excellent but not immaculate condition. Now I'm faced with the usual conundrum to keep totally original or spruce it up selectively. Only ridden it once in the dark but it feels great. Super engine but compared to modern bikes the frame seems very flexible as I had previously read. Inspired to do  this after reading the classic bike feature and looking forward to being a contributor on here. What a great biking autumn we are having !
cheers
David
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:20:02 PM by davidcumbria »
500/4 in 79. No bikes for 30 years. 750/4 in 2013, 550/4 in 2023. Also own  R1100GS, RD350LC YPVS , Triumph Street Triple, Yamaha XT250

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia - No fool like and old fool...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 03:06:10 PM »
Hi David and welcome.
I am in the same shoes had a couple of modern bikes loved the XJR1300 but still prefer my 750 anyday.Its nostalgia maybe but for me it reminds me of the old days which I have to say for me were far better than they are today except the parts are friggin dear now.
Enjoy her
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:14:35 PM »
Hi David and welcome, the 750's are great bikes and i recon if they are survivors in standard condition then they should stay that way as much as possible, dont worry yourself with frame flex i very much doubt you will experience this unless your really racing it hard, you are more than likely experiencing the worn swingarm bearings and bad suspension, and perhaps knackered steering head bearings,
i would change the swingarm bearings and fit new taper roller head stock bearings, then possibly progresive fork springs and new oil, and last of all new rear shocks,
i just get on and ride mine as a classic nice and easy does it , i am not at all bothered by the negatives i here other people say about these bikes, they are in the top ten of all time best bikes for a reason http://dsc.discovery.com/video-topics/cars-bikes/motorcycle-guide-videos/space-age-bike.htm
pete

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 08:48:54 AM »
Hi David. Sounds like that was the bike on eBay that a chap called Tim was selling? If so I think you've bagged a great bike...welcome to the world of cb750's. I'm biased as a self confessed Honda addict, but for me they're the greatest of the 70's superbikes as an all round package. Enjoy.

Offline davidcumbria

• Such great knowledge and support on here 👍
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 06:08:48 PM »
Hi David and welcome.
I am in the same shoes had a couple of modern bikes loved the XJR1300 but still prefer my 750 anyday.Its nostalgia maybe but for me it reminds me of the old days which I have to say for me were far better than they are today except the parts are friggin dear now.
Enjoy her
Cheers
Bitsa

Cheers Bitsa - I really like riding different bikes and enjoying the contrasts. The 750 is an easy  pleasure to ride whereas the seating position and crude controls on the commando are definitely from another 'acquired taste' era.

Hi David and welcome, the 750's are great bikes and i recon if they are survivors in standard condition then they should stay that way as much as possible, dont worry yourself with frame flex i very much doubt you will experience this unless your really racing it hard, you are more than likely experiencing the worn swingarm bearings and bad suspension, and perhaps knackered steering head bearings,
i would change the swingarm bearings and fit new taper roller head stock bearings, then possibly progresive fork springs and new oil, and last of all new rear shocks,
i just get on and ride mine as a classic nice and easy does it , i am not at all bothered by the negatives i here other people say about these bikes, they are in the top ten of all time best bikes for a reason http://dsc.discovery.com/video-topics/cars-bikes/motorcycle-guide-videos/space-age-bike.htm
pete

cheers Pete - I enjoyed the clip. My bike only has 8k on it so I wonder if the swingarm / head bearings would be worn ? I agree about nice and easy classic riding. Got rid of my Blade this summer when I realised I didn't really have the talent or appetite to exploit it nearly enough. For nme pride of ownership and burbling along in the sunshine is something to savour in the same way as carving out bends on a sportsbike.

Hi David. Sounds like that was the bike on eBay that a chap called Tim was selling? If so I think you've bagged a great bike...welcome to the world of cb750's. I'm biased as a self confessed Honda addict, but for me they're the greatest of the 70's superbikes as an all round package. Enjoy.

cheers James - Yes it is that one - just around the corner from me. It is truly staggering to think that this bike is  40 years old when it looks like it could be two. I will be looking after it and keeping those perfect original exhausts good and condensation free.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:10:29 PM by davidcumbria »
500/4 in 79. No bikes for 30 years. 750/4 in 2013, 550/4 in 2023. Also own  R1100GS, RD350LC YPVS , Triumph Street Triple, Yamaha XT250

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia - No fool like an old fool...
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 07:46:12 AM »
Swing arm pivot collar will wear out in 3-4,000 if not greased properly and its the collar that wears more than the bushes(also costs a lot more!!)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 07:25:41 PM »
Plus 1 with bryan as with swing arm steering races as well lack of grease always
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 08:21:32 PM »
I love this forum  :-*  thanks for the reminder just checked my swingarm bushes after 1500 miles  and had to empty the grease gun into it.Seems a bit excessive but it does seem to rain every time I use it.   

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal