Author Topic: Metal plug cap covers.  (Read 6088 times)

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
Metal plug cap covers.
« on: December 05, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
Hi all
I know back in the 70's we all threw away the metal plug cap covers so please don't shout at me.
I'm considering making a batch if i can borrow an original as a master.
Anyone out there can lend me a good /bad or plain ugly one i can take dimensions from?.
Cheers ;D
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Metal plug cap covers.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
You can still buy them, hardly worth the bother in making them
pete

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:37:45 PM »
Hi Pete
Didn't know you could buy them ,that squashed that idea then.
Who sells them?
cheers Rich
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:53:54 PM »
So which model of cb750 were these fitted to guys? Enlighten me pls :-)?

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 11:07:07 PM »
Over £91 for caps!
I think they were fitted to all 70,s bikes, my Kwak triple certainly had them. Bloody crap in the rain.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 11:25:07 PM »
Lester wrote
I think they were fitted to all 70,s bikes, my Kwak triple certainly had them. Bloody crap in the rain.
;) yes they are still crap in the rain mine sounds like a MiG welder arcing out I know they was fitted for all the UK bike market and the kraut ones by the looks of it  ;D  they are on my 1970 CB750k0 and and was on my 1972 CB250k2 I don't know exactly when they stopped .but as you say we all throw them away anyway ::)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »
When i was doing it part of the PDI was to rip off the tin bits on all models

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 09:19:01 AM »
I have exactly these fitted as original on my 400F
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »
Same with Bryan when riders complained off mis firing etc the tins came off no problems then
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 11:19:48 PM »
Why oh why would someone want to put back one of the worst things that Honda ever fitted. Like Bryan and Bitsa it was one of the first things we removed, even if the owner wasn't complaining about a misfire. Truly, truly awful things, you couldn't touch any part of the leads or caps when it rained, or you'd get an almighty electric shock. It was so bad that I ended up wrapping insulation tape all the way down from the coils to the plug caps just to stop the arcing.

For the sake of humanity stop this madness before it catches on.

I agree,original is not always the best,unless the bikes are going to be Concourse standard show bikes that have no engine internals
and never get ridden
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »
Around 1969 the H1 Kawasaki was fitted with the first CDI which evidently interfered with TV's as the bike rode past.
The metal cover was probably intended to eliminate the RFI created when the plug sparks (the internal resistor in the plug cap reduces this too). The manufacturer's were probably more bothered about eliminating RFI than they  were preventing their bikes cutting out in wet weather !!!
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »
Around 1969 the H1 Kawasaki was fitted with the first CDI which evidently interfered with TV's as the bike rode past.
The metal cover was probably intended to eliminate the RFI created when the plug sparks (the internal resistor in the plug cap reduces this too). The manufacturer's were probably more bothered about eliminating RFI than they  were preventing their bikes cutting out in wet weather !!!
This is the reason I believed those metal contraptions existed. I didn't give a sh1t if your TV buzzzed when I zoomed past.  ;D
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »
This is the reason I believed those metal contraptions existed. I didn't give a sh1t if your TV buzzzed when I zoomed past.  ;D

I know, in the late 70's I worked for a large company and it was all doom and gloom about redundancies and everyone was moping around doing nothing but look miserable. I though boll***s to this and gainfully employed myself for a week designing and building a CDI system for my 1st 400/4. It basically inverted the 12v to 400 VDC, then charged a  0.5uF capacitor to 400v and discharged this using a thyristor   across the coil each time the standard contact breaker operated. It took a bit of perfecting though, the first attempt nearly blew up the silencer when it misfired!  It ran great for the next 20k miles (apart from 1 capacitor failure - these were the type used in old Pye valve colour TV sets and I uprated from 600v, to 1,000v type, as they did in the TV design). It was still fitted when I sold it (in the tool tray ) and the original points still looked like new. BUT -  god knows what the RFI was like!!  and yes I did not have the crappy tin covers on. Wonder if its still fitted, as the bike is still out there and was licensed last time I checked XDN128R. I can still hear those twin inverters, 1 for each coil, singing together now!
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal