Author Topic: going from pods back to standard airfilter  (Read 2875 times)

MIKE550/4

going from pods back to standard airfilter
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:51:48 AM »
just waiting on the postman to deliver parts I need to refit standard airbox

I just need two little items now the seal element cover and the foamy insert

so my questions why back in the day would you have changed to pods ( performance ?)

secondly would you have to have made any changes to the carbs

carbs I have cleaned outside, cleaned all the jets and got rid of varnish on the inside with carb cleaner
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:54:41 AM by MIKE550/4 »

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
Re: going from pods back to standard airfilter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
1. pods look better in some peoples eyes
2. they get rid of that paid in the arse that is fitting the carbs when stok air filters are used
3. generally the main jets in the carbs will be swopped to bigger ones to compensate for increased air intake when using pods
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
Hi Mike, you can buy air filter foam in sheets and cut out a piece. I think Ram Air do them for about £5. Where do you find these hard to find air box? I am still looking for parts to complete my air box, that spring that holds the filter forwards just cant be found.

MIKE550/4

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 02:30:14 PM »
I got some of the parts off guys on here via wanted ad, david silver sourced me some of the little parts collar fender and buzz set

the only part I really need is the seal element basically a square pad where the foam sits on

that spring you need I happened to have one but it is a difficult item to source david silvers and csmnl disc item

maybe try the usa forum but I got no joy.....

failing that email some guys on ebay who are selling 550 parts they may have one in their stash

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
Cheers, have tried all the normal places. Just can not understand if a air box comes up on ebay,there is no inners to it and all the important little bits have gone into the wild blue yonda ,

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 11:42:42 AM »
I may have futher bits as I had 2 550k3 projects  I was putting back together, and ended up breaking them. Regards pod filters, I have a set leftover from a chop project, I tried them on my k3 to save the faf of fitting the carbs with the idea of testing my spare engines, the k3 carbs would definately need re jetting to run right. Starting was a real pain, so I would expect the jets to have been changed, unless the person running it carried easy start  or a jump pack for cold weather.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

MIKE550/4

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 01:10:36 PM »
thanks matthew

going to order the part which the foam filter media sits in ( unless you have one )

another question did the k3 have a cover which sat on that spring ? that holds the air filter in ( like a triangular cover )

also did it have a tool tray ?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »
Um, filter media? If you mean the thin layer of spongy stuff - it was sandwiched between the 2 bits I sent you (no idea if this was a correct plcement), the filter sat on top of these, with the spring sat behind it pushing the filter against the front of the airbox - i used a wooden peg until I tracked down a proper spring. the filter box then had a steel lid with a rubber intake to take air from the side (missing on at least 1 of my bikes - I might have a spare) as far as I know the steel cover replaced the tool trays found on the 500/4 but my k3's were both rough, one having arrived in boxes with 3 partial engines and lots of missing bits, the other being a ratty £180 wreck with tax and test back when I first too my test. Current situation is that I sold 1 frame and both bikes were stripped and put in the loft in bits to keep the weather off, the other k3 I'm hoping to re assemble and sell as a runner to recoup my spending - when you pay £180 for a running bike that is only the beginning, such bikes eat money as you find out just how bad a bodge list can be!!!
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »
Yes Ewan, found the air box spring on ebay.$18.10, not sure where he thought up the 10 cents, but $42 for postage?. How many kilos does a air box spring weight?. Talk about get your pants pulled down over the price.

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 08:01:48 PM »
If u r selling your pods,id have a home for them.069 carbs
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »
Sadly bits from the states have to come by airmail, and the postal system over there is priced by preset box sizes rather than how heavy an item is, so a light but bulky item costs more to send than a small heavy item!

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal